From:
Pat Barrett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Nov 2007 17:40:26 -0700
Having just finished the book, I am interested in but I'm not sure I
understand the question: are you asking if this is an accurate quote from
some post or are you asking if it is accurate that the author, Gary Taubes,
makes this statement?
At any rate, Taubes is saying that it is not overeating or lack of exercise
that causes weight gain; it is the failure of the body to metabolize fat. We
can eat all the fat we want; fatty foods do not transfer to fat in the
adipose tissues. Fat is metabolized by the body and used as fuel. Hormones,
specifically insulin, interfere with this process. Insulin levels rise when
we ingest refined carbohydrates. "Unlimited" here means that you feel
satisfied when you eat fats as Atkins and other diets direct, therefore you
don't take in a lot of calories. Refined carbohydrates keep your body from
releasing the fat, therefore you feel hungry no matter how 'fat' you are.
You still need fat for fuel, and protein, and if it's locked up in your
tissue, you will feel hungry.
He mentions Cordain but does not cite the Paleo diet directly; however, he
spends a good deal of time on the foundational ideas of the Paleo diet and
backs them up.

That's my take on the book. I hope I've got it right.
Pat Barrett.