Date:
Sat, 22 Dec 2007 22:15:17 -0600
All cows are kept pregnant as much as possible, and always have been. Cows
that don't have calves every year are not worth much. These days a cow that
fails to have a calf every year is sold.

In the old days feed was not as high energy and protein, so cows did miss
more years, but in general farmers always try to have the cow pregnant.

I doubt that progesterone levels are much different now than they ever have
been, if that is his rationale for higher levels. A cow that does not have a
calf does not give any milk.