THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Skipper Beers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 May 2002 12:55:35 EDT
> Andrea Briand <[log in to unmask]>

>  But it is still very strange to have a low T4 and high T3.  If T3 gets
>  created from the T4, and the T4 is low....where is my T3 coming from?  In
>  my case, it is not coming from the T4.

From "http://www.thyroidmanager.org/Chapter6/Ch-6-2.htm" some things that can
cause low T4:

Low TBG (congenital or acquired) <TBG is thyroid binding globule>
Endogenous T4 antibodies
Mildly elevated or normal T3
       T3 replacement therapy
        Iodine deficiency
        Treated thyrotoxicosis
        Chronic thyroiditis
        Congenital goiter
Drugs competing with T4-binding to serum proteins
Thyroid gland failure
Primary (all causes, including gland destruction, severe iodine deficiency,
inborn error of hormonogenesis)
Secondary (pituitary failure)
Tertiary (hypothalamic failure)

Regarding T3, what I found that could apply to you from Thyroid Manager is,
"The presence of endogenous antibodies to T3 may result in apparent elevation
of the serum TT3 <serum total T3> but as in the case of high TBG, it does not
cause hypermetabolism"
and "Endemic iodine deficiency"  (Of course, we all know endemic means
related to a certain locality and iodine deficiency only occurs in third
world countries because of iodized salt.)

I think I've also seen in some cases where the thyroid will put out more T3.

I would think in your case the most likely causes  of high T3 would be the
natural supplement you are taking (if it has thryoid gland in it, that's a
source of T3), T3 antibodies, or something related to one of the medications
you are on.

Skipper Beers

  Thyroid Welcome Message (Instructions) Always Available
 Anyone can obtain a fresh, new copy of the Thyroid Welcome
 message at any time (24/7) by sending an e-mail message
 saying only "get Thyroid Welcome" (remove quotes) to our
 sleepless robot at <[log in to unmask]>. Its free.