From:
Mary Burgdorff <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mary Burgdorff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Mar 2008 22:42:35 -0400

I received a few responses so far, mostly with advice about sites that have
recipes.  Here are the ones I found most helpful, though they are not
specifically gluten free recipes:

http://kosher4passover.com/recipes.htm
http://www.koshercooking.com/recipes/passover/index.html

I was really hoping to get a few "favorites" that people actually tried and
liked, and that is why I decided to post the question to the list.  I'm very
familiar with Google and use it daily for everything, but I was just looking for
something a little more personal and without Matzoh meal, since that is not
gluten free.

Here are a few recipes that I received:

 Potato Kugel
Do you have a blender or Cuisenart?
I put 4-5 large, diced, peeled potatoes in my blender, not all at the
 same
time. I add one egg, one large diced onion, salt and pepper, and blend
 until
it's liquid, but not like water. Some small chunks fine. Lots of
 pepper, if
you can handle it.
Pour into a baked slightly oiled 8 in cake pan (I use alum.
 foil...great for
transporting and tossing away). Can also make in muffin forms.
Bake in 350 degree oven until done. I think about 45 minutes. Make sure
 it
doesn't burn....because I'm not sure of the time.  You'll want at
 toothpick
to come out dry.
Be aware that potatoes turn green, so if you make this too far in
 advance,
it might take on an odd color.
Sometimes I add a tbs of baking powder to the batter, sometimes I
 don't.
Wow, no brisket or chicken?!  How can you call it a seder.  ; )

Here's something for GF matzo balls.
=====================
In Jewish law, only five grains are suitable for making matzo: wheat,
barley, spelt, rye and oats. The only one of these grains that can be
digested by celiacs and gluten intolerant people is oats, and there
are quite a few celiacs who cannot digest oats at all. Even those who
can can are only able to eat oats if they were produced in such a way
that they were not cross-contaminated with wheat.

To make matzo matters more complicated for gluten-free folks, matzah
shmura must also be properly supervised during the manufacturing
process. Gluten-free shmura matzo, which some rabbis accept as
fulfilling the mitzvah of eating matzo at Passover, is available
online from Rabbi Kestenbaum's Shemura Oat Matzos. The website lists
local vendors in the United States, or you can order them before
March 11 from Kosher.com (which also sells gluten-free matzo meal
from the same company).

There is another option for people who are not as stringent about
halacha, or who are looking for a gluten-free matzo replacement for
Pesach for a purpose other than saying the matzo blessing... Homemade
gluten-free mock matzo!

I combined recipes from Living Without Magazine and Celiac.com and
was surprised to find that my "matzot" were not only edible - They
actually had a pretty nice flavor. I can definitely see myself
snacking on these, especially with haroset and maror. While not a
deadringer for matzo, they do have a good, crisp texture. They are
made of kosher for Passover ingredients, and you can press them out
to be just as thin as a mass-produced matzo.

You can use pre-ground almond meal as I did, but one recipe I saw
recommended using coarser-ground almond meal made at home of
unblanched almonds because they found the larger chunks of almond
made a good texture.

GLUTEN-FREE MOCK MATZO

1/3 cup potato starch
1/3 cup almond meal
1 Tbsp flaxseed meal
2 Tbsp shortening or solid coconut oil
3 Tbsp warm water
1/4 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 450 F. Cover a cookie sheet with aluminum foil. In a
medium bowl, combine the dry ingredients. Mix shortening or coconut
oil into the dry ingredients using your hands. Add water just a
little bit at a time until the dough makes a ball and isn't too
sticky. Knead well, making sure there are no big chunks of
shortening. If the dough is sticky, add additional potato starch.
Take walnut size pieces and press with your fingers onto the foil-
covered baking sheet until flat and thin. Smooth out edges, if
desired, and use a fork to prick rows of holes. Cook for 10 minutes,
watching carefully to make sure they don't get overdone. You should
underbake them slightly, rather than overbaking. Remove from oven as
soon as the edges become slightly brown - The top should still be
white.
Pick anything though a ham/pork /shellfish would not be in good taste
 if
you are trying to replicate a Jewish seder. Simply and for your
 purposes
the main issues are no grains (except matzah or gf matzah) and no dairy

if you have meat dishes. Though most likely  you will not be adhering
Kosher laws so the no dairy will not be a concern.

I have served salmon and lamb  at my seders though Marbella chicken
 with
roasted potatoes and veggies is always the favorite here with a
flourless chocolate torte and meringue cookies
Brisket is a common choice because horseradish is commonly made and
 used
as part of the ritual foods   and is a natural accompaniment;chicken is

a staple of shabbat dinners in general--easy,feeds a crowd and how else

are you going to get the chicken broth for the motzah balls?

a typical dinner would include (along with the symbolic foods) :
chicken broth w/ matzah balls
gefilte fish
entree (usually chicken  and beef brisket)
veggies
charoset, horseradish, parsely etc (ritual foods)
salad
flourless torte with meringue cookies'
fruit

HTH, Kristine

You can also google "seder menus" for approx. 120,000 hits