From:
Valerie WELLS <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Valerie WELLS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Nov 2007 11:33:07 -0800

I don't want anyone to misunderstand me.  I posted "checking electrolytes" in addition to the wonderful & APPROPRIATE summary Denise posted, the timely & APPROPRIATE remarks Jerri made and the confident & APPROPRIATE contributions of Ann.  It was NOT my intention to refute or contradict anyone else's experiences or opinions.  It's perfectly appropriate for each of us to post our opinions based on our own knowledge and experiences.  I appreciate & want to hear what everyone has to say, even if it's inconsistent w/ my own experiences. This is how we learn.  It saddens me to hear that some have received critical emails for what they've courageously posted.  No one should ever feel ashamed or be scolded for sharing what they've experienced & learned.

My whole point in my last post is that EVERY body is different.  What works for ONE will NEVER work for ALL.  And, even the most sophisticated lab tests on earth will not reveal exactly & precisely what any one body needs to remedy every cramp, or any other symptom for that matter.  My remarks are not to be construed as a slam on lab tests, doctors or anyone else's personal experiences or postings.  We all need doctors, we also all need common sense, we all need each other plus the courage & confidence to work things out for ourselves when professionals can't help us.  It's a naive notion to believe that doctors, nutritionists, naturopaths, etc. will or even can have all the answers.  These professionals are heatlh practicioners, not magicians.

In my past, calcium, magnesium & potassium supplements only made my leg cramps worse.  Plain old table salt (sodium chloride) is the only thing that has worked consistenetly for me for several years now.  It may not be that way for anyone else & it may not even be that way for me in the future.  It may be that calcium, magnesium, potassium, a bar of soap under the sheets, warm wool socks or even an overhaul of your medication routine is what you need.  [Do you realize that some drugs can cause leg cramps?  Cholesterol lowering drugs are notorious for causing muscle cramps & sometimes the damage is irreversible.]

I've been asked by several to spell out exactly what I do to stop my leg cramps.  I'm reluctant to do so because I don't want anyone to believe that it's the exact cure for everyone's leg cramps.  But here it is anyway!  Hah!  I've found that taking two 1 gram salt tablets w/ a cup of water at bedtime keeps me comfortable all night long.  (If I'm out of salt tablets, I force down 1/2 teaspoon of salt in about 8 oz of water --- YUK & SHUDDERS!)  Please be aware that I seriously doubt that everyone else in the world needs to do exactly what I do!  I'm an odd bird!  (I posted earlier last week the reasons I need such huge amounts of salt both morning & night.  Search the archives if you are curious.)

Valerie in Tacoma