From:
amy kravitz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
amy kravitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Nov 2007 23:04:46 -0600

Hi to All Who Responded to me about Weight Watchers and eating Gf:

  Basically I didnt get any responders who knew if the Weight Watchers products at the meeting are gf or not(this goes for supermarket items as well).
  There are currently two types of plans that one can do with WW. One is the flex plan where one eats up to their allotted point value within a day's/week's time. There is a newer program called Core( I dont know when it started). On Core you can eat to your heart's content, but they have fewer choices and the foods are definitely healthier. There seem to be more fruits and vegetables on Core.
  I got a few responders who have had good experiences on Core. I didnt hear from anyone on Flex who had experiences with the products. I got half a dozen letters from WW newbies who asked me to post but had no idea about the items themselves.

Amy - I am on weight watchers and have done very well.  What I found was that the core program was very easy for me to follow since it basically allows you to eat mostly plain meat, fish and poutlry; vegetable and fruits.  These are all GF.  the only pastas allowed are whole grain - rice pasta is whole grain.  I became very good at turning any dish into a core dish - it is like taking a regular recipe and making it GF.  Since I have been doing this for years, it was an easy transition.  Please contact me for further information.  I am now a lifetime member and have helped many others lose weight on the core plan.  Good  luck!  Remember when doctors thought that one had to be skinny to have celiac's?

Hi Amy,

I am a lifetime Weight Watchers member.  Luckily, the healthiest foods are
gluten-free.  I follow the core plan most of the time and eat plenty of
fruits, vegetables, and meats.  Also, gluten-free whole grain pasta, whole
grain rice (various varieties of brown, wehani, etc.) and other whole
grains, eggs, soups made from ingredients on core plan, fat-free dairy
products.

This diet also makes me feel good because I am cutting out most additives,
preservatives, and added sugar (with the exception of what I add with the
daily and weekly points.  Much of the WW food contains artificial sweeteners
and other additives which I try to avoid, so I haven't checked with the
company.  If you do see WW brand food you would like to eat, I would
recommend that you write to the company to ask which items are gluten free.
You might also encourage them to state that on the label.

I wish you much success!

>Subject: GF Weight Watchers?
>
>Hi, Amy, I saw your query on the celiac list. I am a lieftime member
>of WW and I think you, as a celiac, would be best served by following
>the Core plan, not Flex. There is little GF among their packaged
>foods and I have found that Core is really an ideal gluten free diet.
>The Flex plan encourages the eating of their snack foods, etc., and
>"costs" high points for healthy foods, whereas Core does not even
>count bread as Core! Brown rice pasta is a Core food, for instance.
>
>It might be that your WW leader has not mentioned Core (they seem to
>favor Flex because they make money on the sales of the packaged
>stuff), or that you were afraid to look into Core because you were
>unsure about how to hold yourself accountable without counting
>points. However, as a gluten intolerant person who loves WW, Core is
>an outstanding program. You can read about it in the Week One
>materials, ask your Leader about it, or go to their site,
>http://www.weightwatchers.com. Weight Watchers' stance is that they
>will not change their program to accomodate individual medical issues
>but they have made some changes in the Core plan (like the brown rice
>pasta, and making bread not a Core food) that make it much easier for
>celiacs or gluten intolerants to follow the plan.
>
>Good luck!

Earlier today I had my weekly meeting. I  stood after the meeting to talk to the meeting leader(or whatever she is called). I asked her if she specifically knew of any gf Weight Watchers Products. She told me that while she has quite a few Celiacs, she doesnt think most of the products that WW has are gf. She really didnt have any definitive information for me. She suggested that I check out a large-sized health foods store in my area, but just to use gf products similar to the WW products, that can be used on the WW and the gf diets.

  I am pretty busy, but I will try to call the WW headquarters number and see if they can give me more specific information on any gf WW products. When I get to it, I will make a post.
  Thanks to all of you for your responses and good luck dieting,
  Amy Kravitz
  New Jersey

*******
*******