ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sharon Hooley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Nov 2007 18:47:06 -0600
Hi all!

I have an interesting story to tell you:

the Conquered Vampire
By Sharon Hooley
November 1, 2007

My sister Judy and I went shopping for pieces for a costume to wear at our
Halloween party at Daybreak Mental Wellness, where I go 5 days a week for
treatment.  Knowing that I was due to go to the lab and have my blood drawn
that very day, I wanted to dress as a vampire.  I asked Judy if a vampire,
as seen in horror movies, had any connection with witchcraft.  She didn't
think so, but I decided to do some research.  I found that this creature
used to be depicted in ancient demonology.  Even though it is not commonly
considered this in our time, it sent off a small warning bell for me.  I
struggled and prayed about it through the whole process of getting my
costume ready.  I thought it would be so much fun to represent a vampire, a
real animal that does live on blood, at least.  I did not feel comfortable
about posing as the human type if it had anything to do with the devil and
witchcraft, but I didn't really try to get an animal look going.  I did look
up vampire bats, but i was discouraged after reading the description of
them.  Though I continued to struggle with The Lord over what I wanted to
do, I did figure that, since I didn't hear a "no" from Him when buying the
props, He might be saying it would be okay.  Well, yesterday morning came.
My care provider, Blanca, dyed my hair black with a temporary spray, painted
my face, helped me put on the plastic vampire cape with the stiff collar.  I
also added a bunch of supposedly blood-sucking critters down the front of my
shirt.  As often happens with me, I don't get everything ready in good time
before my ride comes.  I heard the knock on the door out front.  I grabbed a
bag, asked Blanca to give me my morning pills since I couldn't eat until
after the visit to the lab, and left.  I soon realized that I had probably
forgotten my teeth and fangs!  What a disappointment!  Then later, an idea
came to me:  I was now a conquered vampire!

After visiting both the lab and my psychiatric nurse practitioner and
finally getting to Daybreak, I told the group, with the DJ leading the
costume contest, that I'd forgotten my fangs, so I was kidnapped.  They
ripped the fangs out of my mouth, put those suckers on me, and dragged me to
the lab, where more blood was taken, see? (I left the bandage on my arm to
show them.)  I was rather surprised that I didn't win in the contest, but
I've learned some good lessons from The lord.

1.  This is a great, humorous example of how we can make lemonade out of the
lemons that are thrown our way, and drastically change our attitude and
outlook on circumstances.  It also shows how God can take those lemons and
make the sweetest lemonade!

2.  WE never know what The lord has up His sleeves.  It didn't make complete
sense to me why He would be okay with my plans; but He sees all, and knows
all, including how things will turn out.  Yep, He sure knows what He's
doing.

As I sat, hearing the music coming out of the Karaoke system and the DJ
doing his work to make things exciting, I played out a scenario in my mind,
or perhaps The Lord gave me this too:

I would be asked if I wanted to sing anything, or would volunteer, if He
urged me to do so.  "Yes," I would answer, "I'd like to sing Amazing Grace."
As the DJ set up the music, I would add, "I have something to say to the
group first."  I would ask that the beating background music be turned off.
then, in the quiet, I would speak into the microphone.  If I hadn't said
anything about my costume before, I could have said something like this:

"Well, I had planned to come here as a full-blown vampire on a rampage."  I
would then tell how I was conquered, and that the bugs were put on me to
weaken me, and they were still sucking.  then I might have said something
like this:

"some of you may not believe that there is a devil, but I do.  but the devil
has been conquered by Jesus Christ.  Like my nurse practitioner said this
morning, things can only control you if you give it permission.  I don't
know about you, but I want Jesus Christ to be in control of my life.  this
song is my tribute to Him."

Again, there was a struggle as I thought about doing all this.  I think the
negative what-if worries that many Christians face were typical:  "How would
people respond?"  "What if I get kicked out of Daybreak, with all their fun
activities and prizes, or be tormented by someone who would try to ruin the
fun life for me?"  I also didn't, and still don't, feel completely sincere
about wanting Jesus to be in control, but I decided, as I've done before,
that I could act in faith and God would take me seriously.  But, for some
reason, I didn't do it.  I'm not sure if it's because I simply didn't choose
to get out of my comfort zone, or because Jesus didn't give me the
opportunity.  I thought this was over, but...only He knows.  Maybe someday I
can just retell the past events in a better place and time?  Like maybe
now?... Yes, He sure knows what He's doing, and He reminds me that He is the
one who works in me to will and to act according to His good pleasure.