THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Donald Michael <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Jan 2008 20:40:59 EST
In a message dated 1/6/2008 4:34:39 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

I have  been found to have low thyroid binding globulin.  Can anyone tell  me
the implications of this?>>>>
Low Thyroxin Binding Globulins suggests that you have a greater  percent of
T4 (and  T3) unbound or "free." When thyroid hormones are bound  to TBG, they
are not free to perform their metabolic functions.

In pregnancy, with its high estrogen levels (and countless other changes),
TBG goes up a lot. If one looks only at Total T4 and Total T3, these might be
"High" in a person who is clinically Hypothyroid.

But, if we look at the Free T3, Free T4 levels, those will usually reflect  a
lower level that is more compatible with the Clinical picture.  <<<<<

... Then, we don't go by T3 labs as much, is  that
right? >>>>>
Too many docs pay too much attention to Labs, while ignoring the plight of
their patients. Fact of the matter, you can have virtually any T3, T4, TSH
you'd  like; and you could be Hypothyroid, Hyperthyroid, or Euthyroid.

Getting the Free T3 and Free T4 levels automatically compensates for  the
variable TBG levels by showing the amount of the hormones free to do  anything.
Still, labs are not a substitute for brains and listening to your  patient's
History. <<<<

What  about TSH, is that an accurate 'picture' of our thyroid hormone
needs in  low TBG, or is it falsely raised? >>>>
TSH is a worse than useless indicator of the adequacy of thyroid hormones.
Looking at the TSH, instead of your patient, is sort of life looking at the
shadow of a tree to tell what kind of tree it is: You'd do much better to look
directly at the tree, instead of something that vaguely reflects its
characteristics. <<<<<

I hope this helps.

Doc Don

                      Snip, Please
If you "Reply" to a message, and *you* fail to erase or delete
 the previous message, *your* message cannot be distributed.

Why not ask a question? If we're not currently talking about
what *you* want to hear about, ask about another topic! Or
make a statement. To be prepared, you might want to search
the Thyroid Archives http://www.Emissary.Net/thyroid/index.html
to see what has been said before about any thyroid-related topic.