C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 22 Apr 2008 21:43:11 -0400
Hi, Mary, I'm Kat, one of the list mods.

I think our experiences are varied and depend on our parents' viewpoints of
life in general and how they perceive us in the scheme of things.  May I ask
how old you are?

In my case, my parents pretty much let me do what I wanted to (that is, they
didn't try to restrict me from doing anything that abled-bodied kids did).
I was expected to do my share of the chores, do well in school and be as
"normal" as possible.  Of course it helped that my CP was mild and I didn't
have vision problems; I do have an hearing impairment but that didn't get
bad enough to restrict my ability to interact with other people until about
10 years ago.

Of course in trying to keep up with everyone else, I overdid it and wore out
my body so I am now in a  wheelchair but I work fulltime and drive my own
car with hand controls and a wheelchair lift, so I'm pretty independent. Who
do I have to thank for this?  My parents and I am grateful to them; I just
wish they were still here so I can tell them.  They let me fight my own
battles and deal with the consequences, which is the best legacy any parent
can give a child.

Kat