C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Deri James <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Dec 2007 02:01:54 +0000
On Wednesday 05 December 2007 18:45:05 Michael H. Collis wrote:
> I was wondering if Peter, Ken, Kyle, or Kendall had a comment on it.  It is
> talking about how gradual global warming may bring about abrupt climate
> change by changing the thermocline circulation in the oceans,   The
> northern hemisphere, especially Europe and the northeastern part of North
> America, would be hit hard by never ending blizzards. and the southern part
> of North America would be hit by 5 or 6 category 5 hurricanes.
>
> http://www.whoi.edu/page.do?pid=12455&tid=282&cid=9986
>
> Comments, anyone?

Hi Michael,

This article on "thermohaline circulation" (from 4 years ago) does not include
a lot of recent research. Current data does indicate the circulation may be
slowing (although the figures have a high degree of uncertainty), but,
contrary to expectations, seas are actually warming.

One certainty is that the more energy (heat) contained within a "closed
system" (such as the earth) the more violent will be the weather. I always
think of a milk pan just below simmering on the hob (this is a fairly stable
condition) now pop a lid on!!!

Cheers

Deri