From:
Lou Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Nov 2007 23:23:06 -0500
Hi Tom.

I would be more worried about IR losses than RFI.  I think the voltage drop
from a long wire like that could be fairly significant at 12 volts unless
your wire diameter is large and you have very very good connections.

I have found that when you are running in excess of 20 amps, even fairly
small amounts of resistance can significantly adversely affect your rig's
performance.  I found this out the hard way a couple of years ago when I
couldn't seem to get more than 75 watts out of my Icom IC706 and was
getting reports that it was FMing on voice peaks.  While I couldn't really
see a problem with the ohm meter, I soon discovered the problem when I
touched the wire near the binding posts and nearly burned my fingers.  It
seems that the crimp on wire ends made a good enough connection to look
good for a continuity test, but were resistive enough to generate quite a
bit of heat when running an HF rig full power.  A couple of minutes with a
good hot soldering iron and the power output came right up to 100 watts.

73, de Lou K2LKK