From:
Misty Price <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 12 Nov 2007 21:07:15 -0800

Just to add to the mayhem, I would like to post a personal experience of my own:

I have also had leg cramps that awakened me in the night, from time to time, but not always.  I find that the only thing that relieves them is to get out of bed and stand up, and then they go away in a few moments.  But they are excruciating and they make my toes "point" so that standing up is very difficult.

I have always wondered what caused them, and this discussion reminded me that many years ago my aunt told me that when she had them she found that putting a few grains (like a tiny pinch) of salt under the tongue would releive them.  This aunt died 30+ years ago, and I have no idea how she knew such a thing.  It may not work for everybody, but it worked for her, and after reading these posts, I plan to place a salt shaker by my bed for those occasions when I encounter them.  I see my doctor regularly and he always copies me on all my bloodwork and I have the finest blood in this town.  Everything is sitting right in the center of the range.  I don't think 5 or 6 grains of salt is going to hurt me and it's worth a try!

Thanks to the person who jogged my memory, and thanks, Aunt Nell!

Misty in CA