From:
Janet Rinehart <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Janet Rinehart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Apr 2008 06:17:04 -0600

I am responding to a new message from Karen who asked about certain
ingredients from a handout she found.

We don't have to worry about DISTILLED vinegar (white or not).  The process
of distillation does not allow gliadin toxcity to come through into the
final distillate.  The single word "vinegar" on labels indicates an apple
source.  We might have to worry if it said just "grain vinegar," which is
seldom seen.  Also, malt vinegar is a no-no, of course.

Most celiacs don't have to worry about dyes, unless they have a particular
individual sensitivity. Natural colorings should be checked out with the
manufacturer, but the risk is generally low.

Rapid rise yeast is not generally a problem.

Brown rice syrup is suspect and should be checked out with the manufacturer.

Mainly the items you asked about are old myths.  Please throw that handout
away.  It is too old to be helpful and has wrong information.
-- Janet Rinehart, Chairman, Houston Celiac Support Group; former president
CSA/USA; www.houstonceliacs.org