From:
Kristine <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 18 Feb 2008 15:49:34 -0800

I originally wrote:

We have eaten at the  Outback in Bellevue, WA. for many years with no
incident. Tonight changed all that. We ordered our "normal" (steak,
baked potato,steamed broccoli, and a Cesare salad)and explained to the
waitress that **everything** had to be gluten free..please wipe out the
salad bowl, etc.<snip>

 I received quite a few posts off list..thank you everyone!

One kind poster asked me to add that the baked potatoes are coated in
soybean oil for those sensitive to soy.

The sentiment ranged from flat out "you are wrong" to outrage that we
were 100% at fault per the management.
Several posts on a missed opportunity to further "the cause" and to educate.
Several posts stating that you must always ask for the gluten free menu
to raise awareness.(though at this Outback they never,ever  have a gf
menu available..in fact the night  of the incident we waited a
considerable length of time while they looked for it and it was
eventually printed off the computer)

Several posts also understanding my main concern was the lack of
awareness by the kitchen and that all liability fell on the
communication between the server and the kitchen staff and ultimately
the customer telling the server how the food must be prepared.( FWIW I
expect to do this in a restaurant that does not have a gf menu but I do
not expect to do this in a restaurant that has specific gf menus. One of
the reasons we go to Outback is to avoid the lengthy negotiations for
correct food prep.If we do go to a restaurant not on the gf circuit I
always call ahead to see if we can be accommodated not wishing to engage
in Celiac101 at the dinner table).

Several posts that this was their experience also and one even said
"Outback has now a computer with a GF message for GF meals, but the
staff in the back has no training & no clue as to what that means"
One poster  said that for her GF dinner club the chains that claim to
have gf are the worst experiences . She also said "if places don't
bother to train the staff (esp. in the kitchen) about what gluten is,
they should NOT bother having a gf menu - period!" with which I happen
agree.

Thank you one and all for your thoughtful responses.

Kristine wrote:

*******
*******