Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Valerie WELLS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Nov 2007 12:36:39 -0800

Common tests to "check electrolytes" in the blood are generally useless for detecting actual mineral deficiencies.  Blood levels of electrolytes don't always reflect true nutritional status and are only useful in the most extreme cases when life saving interventions are needed.  One can be severely deficient in nutrients for many years while the blood test will appear "normal."  For example, blood calcium levels are always maintained w/i a very narrow limit or a person can die.  The body will rob the bones of calcium before it will allow a drop in blood calcium levels.  You can be severely deficient in calcium (and other minerals/electrolytes), even to the point of advanced osteoporosis w/o ever having low blood levels or a single muscle cramp!  Same principle applies for other minerals/electrolytes.  The body will rob the cells & bones of whatever electrolytes it needs to maintain critical blood levels because critical blood levels keep us alive.  Blood tests just don't show true deficiencies w/i the cells.

My blood tests for ALL the electrolytes & minerals have ALWAYS been w/i normal range, yet I continued to have severe leg cramps for years.  It was only through careful experimentation & observation that I found what I needed to stop the leg & foot cramps.  No doctor or blood test ever provided me the information I needed to eliminate the cramps.  I even went to a holistic nutritional MD who did ultra sensitive, specialized blood tests on blood serum & packed red blood cells, 24 hour urine tests, etc. and still there was no objective indication of any specific deficiency that needed correction.  The only indication that something was wrong was my persistant muscle cramps.

I strongly encourage people to experiment & carefully observe their responses to various "home remedies", of course after they've been thoroughly "checked out" by a physician to make sure they don't have any serious underlying pathology.  Had I depended on doctor's advice & not experimented with table salt for leg cramps, I'd STILL be suffering w/ them every night!

Valerie in Tacoma