From:
Lou Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Oct 2007 00:16:39 -0400
Hi Richard.

I decided that my comments to these questions probably would be of interest
to several people so am replying on list.

Basically, you can vary the band with on CW, SSB, and AM.  I find the DSP
filters to be effective for the most part but harder to use than the
traditional crystal filters and a good Pass Band Tuning control.  I think
where the distortion comes in is when you try to perform a lot of noise
reduction on the signal, but if you either leave the DSP NR turned off, or
set on the more minimal reduction, the distortion isn't really a problem.

Where I find that the TS2000S has a shortcoming is with the amount of hiss
that rides on a SSB signal--much more noticeable than on other rigs.  I
found that you could control it effectively by backing down the RF Gain,
but it is a pain that I never had to deal with on my older radios.  It is
one of those annoyances more than an absolute show stopper.

Basically, I like crystal filters.  If they offered them for the TS2000S, I
would buy them.  I just like the way a crystal filter sounds better than I
like DSP.  Just like a solid state audio amp never seems to sound quite as
good as a well built tube amp.  Newer isn't always better.

However, newer often means you can keep it out of the repair shop for a few
years and that is worth something...

73, de Lou K2LKK