VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ray Campbell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ray Campbell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Apr 2007 09:32:41 -0500
Hello All:

My wife and I have a weird situation with e-mail that we cannot figure
out.  We're running a Dell system with Windows XP, Norton Internet
Security 2006 and Window-Eyes.  Ever since I installed my latest Norton
update on Saturday, April 21 at about 9:30 p.m. central time, here's
what has been happening.

I get on the computer in my user account.  I do what I need to do,
including checking e-mail, then I log off and let my wife log on.  When
she logs onto her user account and tries checking e-mail in Microsoft
Outlook, she's getting a send/receive error.  When we click on this
error, we see error code 0X80042108.

I checked the Microsoft Knowledge Base and it, indeed, says this error
code has to do with Norton.  What we cannot figure out is why does it
crop up when my wife logs onto her acount and not when I do?  BTW,
re-starting the computer and logging directly into my wife's account
fixes the problem.  So, the problem occurrs when my wife logs in as the
second user of the computer.  We have not tried having her log in first
yet, then having me log in second to see if we get the same results.

If anyone has any ideas of how we can fix this problem without
uninstalling Norton, which is recommended in the MS Knowledge Base, I'd
like to hear them.  I could do a System Restore and thereby remove the
Norton Update, but then the next time it Live Updates the problem
probably would crop up again.

Thanks for any help.

Ray Campbell, Help Desk Technician
Adaptive Technology Center
Chicago Lighthouse for People Who Are Blind or Visually Impaired
1850 W. Roosevelt Road
Chicago, IL  60608
312-997-3651 (Voice/Relay) or
888-825-0080 (voice/Relay)