VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John McCann <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John McCann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Mar 2007 21:15:22 -0500
Hello Missy:

I am going to support what Mike Pietruk wrote to the max...underline max! I
would have said everything he said had I gotten to my keyboard before he got
to his. In 2003, after my existing system had failed to be sufficiently
rehabilitated after having been ravaged by a virus, I did exactly what
you're now contemplating doing, i.e., wrote down all these great
specifications for my dream computer, and then went to Comp USA to have them
put the system together. I paid two thousand dollars for the system, and
barely got a year of marginally satisfactory use out of it. For example, the
sound card never worked right; I was never able to get on talk sites with
it, such as "for the people". It crashed at least tent times a week, making
my plans to run my own email server a joke. Since I had other things to do
with my life than engage in a protracted fight with the vendor, for fully a
year I very grudgingly accepted operating conditions far below those I had
planned for. After a year, in total disgust, I decided to attempt putting
the machine in service as a linux server. The same problems occurred, so I
ultimately gave the thing away to be canabalized for whatever parts the
recipient thought were worth having. I replaced that horror box with a Dell
8300, which has given me fantastic service lo these past three years.

My strong, strong advice; go to a mainstream company like Dell, HP, Gateway,
perhaps Compaq (though I haven't heard that name recently); give them your
requirements and specifications; then, in consultation, have them put
together your dream system. You can be relatively sure of two things with
this approach, as Mike has pointed out: (1), all necessary drivers should
work, and you can be quite confident that all the components will work
together; i.e., they'll get along and play nicely together, and, (2), that
if they don't, or if there's any other problem, you have one point of
accountability, a company with a good reputation which they're invested in
protecting.

HTH!

John