From:
Lynnet Bannion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Jun 2008 07:44:56 -0600
On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 21:49:48 -0600, Gale <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Can paleo be profitable?
> Are we really incapable of having sound public policy on these things?
> Yes and No.
> yes when there's a balance of science (and the ability to discriminate
> among) is good.  No as long as the balance of science is off - weighted
> now toward commercial and ideological)
I'd say basically No while the large agribusiness corporations such as
ADM, Cargill and
ConAgra have so much influence over public policy via the USDA and
Congress.  We can't have safe pharmaceuticals while the big drug companies
have a revolving-door relationship with the FDA.  Not only is the fox
watching the henhouse, we're paying
the fox's salary much of the time.

I don't know how we can get back our country from these
mega-corporations.  I for one am buying no packaged processed food, and
buying local food, direct from growers whenever possible.  Cleaning house
in the USDA and FDA from the top on down, until you find public employees
who care more about the public than the goodies they get from industry,
would help.  But the chances of that happening seem slight.

> We need to re-balance.  (Vegans support their diet industry through
> ideological donations to animal rights organizations and purchasing of
> diet books etc.)  So to get there... where are the profit centers in a
> paleo diet?
Where are the Truth centers?  The profit centers will always sell you what
makes
them the most profit.  Look what happened to Atkins!  The stores are full
of processed low-carb crud with the Atkins name on it, equally as bad as
the high-carb crud the
other corporations sell us.  And surprise, surprise; those people who lost
weight on Atkins original plan with the meat and vegetables, stop losing
when they start eating the low-carb noodles, snack bars, cookies, etc.  I
can't think that Dr. Atkins would be too happy about what is happening
under his name.

The only way we as consumers can pull the plug on this is to STOP BUYING
IT.

	Lynnet