C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Tue, 9 Oct 2007 13:32:53 -0400
Oh, Kat, it's not the car that gets me--it's the people who have
half-a-dozen standard-width places to chase from and then they park in
one of the wide spots.  I realize there are folks with chairs and cars
that need the space, and unless I actually see them drive up and get out
of the car I don't know if they need the space or not.

I spoke to one lady who parked her Ford Explorer in a "van accessible"
slot.  She was using her husband's placard and she said, I kid you not,
that she used the "handicapped" placard to park in the wide spaces
because it was too hard for her to park the big pig SUV in a regular
slot.

Then she had the gall to ask me what business it was of mine where she
parked.  Well, I had just come from Guard drill so I had my cammies on,
which covered my AFO.  I bent over, picked up a stone and rapped on the
brace, which she obviously thought was a prosthetic leg.  She put her
hand to her mouth and said, "I am so sorry, did you lose it in the war?"
Not wanting to lie, but not wanting to lose the moment either, I
replied, "No ma'am, it was a tragic sex accident."   (No lie -- really
happened!)

Kyle