From:
Danny Dyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Jan 2008 13:33:49 -0500
Hi Eric, I've successfully had and used, and There are two blind hams/Ron
Miller in FLA, on this list, and Jack Mcspadden in Little Rock, who's been
on this list, that I'm familiar with who are successfully using the Icom
IC703+, fitted with the ut102 speech chip to give freq, mode, and SMeter
reading.  Both are also using a millenium QSYer from John Hansen, and at
least one of them, and I think the second also, using the super antenna MP1
manual screw driver type of antenna, and ham radio deluxe.
Check the eham.net reviews of the 703&703+, AD5X, Phil Sallis in TX, "He of
squealer fame, has a good comparison review of the 703, 817, and sgc2020,
and would be of much help, among other things being willing to make a
shorter cord/as when OEM, the long fused cord connnects to the radio via a
six inch or so long pigtail that comes out of the radio.

  Observations,
The tuner will tune very well, almost to anything.
2, you can bracket an antenna to the side of the radio with the same bracket
from super antennas that we've talked about.
3, the battery can also be mounted on the side of the radio instead of the
antenna, as per Sallis's and others' reviews, _______________do not______for
money's sake, invest in the Icom nicad pack designed for the radio that
sells for about $150, when the RC battery packs from Radioshack,
batteryspace, batteriesamerica and others, will cost much less, about a
tenth in some cases, charge well, and for the most part do as well or
better.  On the other hand, The icom Backpack made for the radio, so I
understand, is good.  The icom antenna designed to be used with it, is
pretty pricey and so I understand isn't telescopic, although I've never
played with it.  I'd say if that's the radio you go with, with its' tuner, a
couple of hamstick type antennas, or the MP1 antenna should do you well.
HTH, dd.