From:
Steve Dresser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Dec 2007 16:06:52 -0500
Pat,

Did you ever see a Hallicrafter S38E?  It was a nice looking receiver, but
it had two giant shortcomings:  it had no power transformer (AC/DC), and no
BFO.  I think it used some sort of feedback circuit to generate the tone,
which meant that if signals got too strong (like the 40 meter Novice band),
the tone disappeared.  There was no RF gain, so you couldn't correct the
problem.

Steve