AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Wed, 7 Jan 2009 13:47:49 -0600

             RENEW YOUR AAM MEMBERSHIP FOR $25!!!!

   MAIL YOUR CHECK TO AAM, P. O. Box 1016, MADISON, WI 53701

Why Israel is no better than the African wife-beater

By CHARLS ONYANGO-OBBOPosted Wednesday, January 7 2009 at 19:08

Watching the might of the Israeli army pounding hapless Gaza into the
Stone Age in retaliation for the radical Hamas group?s rocket attacks
on civilians inside Israel, reminded me of the contradictions of life
in the village donkey?s years ago.

When we were little, whenever we visited our grandparents, we were
struck by how widespread and public wife-beating in the village was. A
?real man? in Africa was the one who put his woman in her place with a
jolly good whacking whenever she ?stepped out of line?.

Something puzzled us, though. Some of the wives seemed fearless,
because sometimes they would publicly provoke and goad their husbands
into a temper. The sight of someone ?looking for a beating? was
incomprehensible to us.

When we grew older and wiser in the ways of the world, it all made
sense. For while wife-beating was tolerated as a legitimate tool for
disciplining an errant spouse, at the same time, there was no man more
despised than a wife-beater.

At the beer pot, a man who was dismissed as a ?weakling who can only
beat his poor wife? would be so humiliated, he would have to walk away.

We understood that, in a bizarre way, in societies where women were
powerless, provoking men into beating them was a strategy. They
suffered, but the husband lost more by having his standing in society
diminish, because he was seen as a bully who preyed on the weak.

In this way, the women could be ?helpless? victims of domestic abuse,
provocateurs, and heroic casualties of war all wrapped in one.

Which brings us back to the Israel-Palestinian conflict. My own view
of Israel is a messy bundle of mixed feelings. When I was much
younger, I was pro-Israel. Then I grew older, more knowledgeable, and
became an idealist, hoping to make a small contribution to save the
world. Then what Israel was doing to the Palestinians became
unpalatable.

The genocide by the Nazis in which more than six million Jews were
killed, remains one of the most difficult bouts of hate and
murderousness to come to terms with. It therefore hasn?t been easy to
be critical of Israel, a State founded partly to give Jews a sanctuary
in which they could defend themselves.

So here we are, after 12 days of air strikes and a ground offensive,
Israel has killed more than 600 Palestinians in the Gaza, many of them
women, and children blown up while they were in their school building.
On the Israel side, Hamas? rockets have killed five people.

Hamas is just one of many radical Palestinian organisations. That
Israel needed to lay siege to Gaza for 18 months and starve its
population into submission, and now deploy its vast army to deal with
this threat, is actually a failure. It is a war that, in the end,
Israel cannot win.

Many supporters of Israel partly side with it because radical groups
in the Middle East are determined to wipe it off the face of the
Earth. That would mean a repeat of the Nazi-type genocide against
Jews, and that is unacceptable.

Hamas probably understands that, and its success has been in provoking
Israel to act with disproportionate and raging vengefulness. Over the
years, Israel?s treatment of Palestinians has sometimes had uncanny
parallels with the Nazi?s treatment of Jews.

The result is that Israel is close to establishing some kind of
equivalence of evil, in which its excesses against Palestinians assume
the level of abomination of that of the Nazis against Jews.

Israel?s right to exist is based on a powerful moral imperative that
derives, in large part, from the Holocaust. If it loses that through
its severity against the Palestinians, it loses the argument about its
existence. If that happens, even if it had the strongest army in the
world, it would no longer be able to defend something that no longer
exists.

Increasingly, there are many thoughtful Jews to whom Israel?s
militarism has become unbearable. Writing in the Christian Science
Monitor a few days ago, Sara Roy, a senior research scholar at the
Centre for Middle Eastern Studies, Harvard University, and the author,
of Failing Peace: Gaza and the Palestinian-Israeli Conflict, said: ?In
nearly 25 years of involvement with Gaza and Palestinians, I have not
had to confront the horrific image of burned children ? until today?,
she wrote.

?Why have we been unable to accept the fundamental humanity of
Palestinians and include them within our moral boundaries??
Ultimately, our goal is to tribalise pain, narrowing the scope of
human suffering to ourselves alone.

?Our rejection of ?the other? will undo us. Israel?s victories are
pyrrhic and reveal the limits of Israeli power and our own limitations
as a people: our inability to live a life without barriers? As Jews in
a post-Holocaust world empowered by a Jewish state, how do we as a
people emerge from atrocity and abjection, empowered and also humane??

"A candle loses nothing of its light by lighting another candle"