AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
VERA R CROWELL <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Sep 2008 10:06:03 -0500

                      ANNUAL MEMBERSHIP CONGRESS

                     SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 27, 2008

What kind of message are we sending to our young people when we propagate messages like this one? That they're nothing without  a law degree? Are we telling them that a bachelor's degree from a 'state school' not only is unimportant and meaningless, but that it doesn't matter whether they have it or not? Do we want to tell them that without a law degree they are not worthy to do more than  manage a 7-11?

You wrote: "You are The Boss... which team would you hire? With America facing historic debt, multiple war fronts, stumbling health care, a weakened dollar, all-time high prison population, skyrocketing Federal spending, mortgage crises, bank foreclosures, etc. etc., this is an ***unusually critical*** election year."

A lot of these are economic issues....Hmmm.

Stanford Graduate School of Business: John Kennedy (did not graduate)
Harvard Business School: George W. Bush

Having a law degree is not a prerequisite for becoming president and having one does not necessarily make you a better or more effective president. Besides, I just noticed something that may be important to those of you who don't believe in war..a lot of these presidents with law degrees presided over US wars...interesting, don't you think?

(I realize this is Wikipedia and is not an authorized source)

Albany Law School: William McKinley (withdrew)
Columbia Law School:  Theodore Roosevelt (withdrew), Franklin Roosevelt (completed requirements but did not officially graduate)
Duke University School of Law: Richard Nixon
Georgetown University Law Center: Lyndon Johnson (withdrew)
Harvard Law School: Rutherford B. Hayes
University of Cincinnati College of Law: William Taft
University of Missouri - Kansas City School of Law: Harry Truman (withdrew)
University of Virginia School of Law: Woodrow Wilson (withdrew)
Yale Law School: Gerald Ford, Bill Clinton

Andrew Jackson, Abraham Lincoln and Calvin Coolidge became lawyers after independent study; they never attended law schools.

Here are some other things you can do with a graduate, law or medical school degree:

Saddam Hussein - Dictator of Iraq: Education: He studies law at the Cairo Law School in 1962. In 1971, Hussein receives his Law Degree from the University of Bagdad.

Ferdinand Marcos: After completing his schooling, Marcos enrolls to study law at the University of the Philippines.1939 - In April Marcos is arrested in connection with the 1933 murder of a political rival of his father and has to complete his law degree while in custody. He stands trial in September and is and found guilty.

François Duvalier, Jean-Claude Duvalier: Duvalier studies medicine at the University of Haiti. He graduates in 1934. Working as a doctor he is given the nickname 'Papa Doc' by his patients.

Joseph Goebbels:1922 - He graduates from Heidelberg University with a doctorate in literature and philosophy and pursues a career in journalism and writing. During the year he joins the Nazi Party, serving as editor of two party periodicals.

Shiro Ishii: Kill tally: At least 3,000 killed in experiments at the Unit 731 biological weapons facility. Approximately 200,000 killed in field tests of biological weapons. Between 20,000 to 30,000 Chinese killed when plague-infected rats are released from Unit 731 at the end of the Second World War. He studies medicine at Kyoto Imperial University. 1920 - Ishii completes his medical degree and joins the Army Medical Corps.

Slobodan Milosevic: 1964 - He graduates from the University of Belgrade with a degree in law and begins a career in business administration, becoming head of Technogas, the state-owned gas company, in 1968.