Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Sun, 25 Nov 2007 18:22:04 -0800
7bit
From:
Marilyn Harris wrote:
>             Talking about supplements, the newly released major report on cancer published by the WCRF/ACIR recommends not using them as they may effect your risk in developing cancer.
>
>             http://www.aicr.org/site/PageServer?pagename=dc_recs_08_no_supplements
>
>             Don't Use Supplements to Protect against Cancer
>
>             To reduce your risk of cancer, choose a balanced diet with a variety of foods rather than taking supplements.
>             The Expert Report found strong evidence that high-dose supplements of some nutrients can affect the risk of different cancers. The panel judged that in general, the best source of nourishment is food and drink, not dietary supplements. Nutrient-rich whole foods contain substances that are necessary for good health - like fiber, vitamins, minerals and phytochemicals. (The plant-based foods are the source of many cancer-fighting compounds. Be sure to fill your plate with two-thirds [or more] with a variety of vegetables, fruits, whole grains, and beans, and one-third [or less] of animal protein.)
>
>             Some studies have shown that supplements can upset the balance of nutrients in the body. More research needs to be done, but this is one way that they might affect our risk of cancer.
>
>             There are some situations when supplements are recommended. These are the most common situations when taking a supplement can be beneficial:
>               a.. All women of childbearing age intending to conceive a child should take a folic acid supplement before conception and up to the twelfth week of pregnancy.
>               b.. Pregnant women and nursing mothers should also take a vitamin D supplement and possibly an iron supplement if their iron levels are low.
>               c.. Children between six months and five years could benefit from taking drops containing vitamins A, C and D, although children with a good appetite who eat a wide variety of foods may not need them.
>               d.. Frail older people who have low calorie needs may benefit from a low-dose, balanced multi-vitamin.
>               e.. Older people should consider taking a vitamin D supplement, as should: people who rarely go outdoors; people who cover up all their skin when outdoors; those who don't eat meat or oily fish.
>             If you want more advice on any of these situations, it's best to contact your doctor or a registered dietitian.
>

> The second report Food, Nutrition, Physical Activity and the Prevention of Cancer: a Global Perspective can be read at:
>
> http://www.dietandcancerreport.org/
>
> Marilyn

My gut reaction to this report is "trash".  Supplementing just with vitamin D
for example reduced cancer by 77% over a 3 year period.   Most people should be
taking vitamin D since few run around in loin cloths during the summer months
nowadays.  Studies of the vitamin and mineral content in the same foods over a
50 year period show that our "healthy" whole foods have less vitamin and
minerals in them than 50 years ago, sometime far in excess of 50% less.

Personally, I'm for a healthy diet AND supplements.  My goal is life extension,
not just reasonably long life.

See the article at:
<http://www.newstarget.com/021892.html>

New research shows vitamin D slashes risk of cancers by 77 percent; cancer
industry refuses to support cancer prevention

Exciting new research conducted at the Creighton University School of Medicine
in Nebraska has revealed that supplementing with vitamin D and calcium can
reduce your risk of cancer by an astonishing 77 percent. This includes breast
cancer, colon cancer, skin cancer and other forms of cancer. This research
provides strong new evidence that vitamin D is the single most effective
medicine against cancer, far outpacing the benefits of any cancer drug known to
modern science.

The study involved 1,179 healthy women from rural Nebraska. One group of women
was given calcium (around 1500 mg daily) and vitamin D (1100 IU daily) while
another group was given placebo. Over four year, the group receiving the calcium
and vitamin D supplements showed a 60 percent decrease in cancers. Considering
just the last three years of the study reveals an impressive 77 percent
reduction in cancer due to supplementation. (The full press release of this
study is included below. It provides more details about the findings.)

Note that these astonishing effects were achieved on what many nutritionists
consider to be a low dose of vitamin D. Exposure to sunlight, which creates even
more vitamin D in the body, was not tested or considered, and the quality of the
calcium supplements was likely not as high as it could have been (it was
probably calcium carbonate and not high-grade calcium malate, aspartate or
similar forms). What does all this mean? It means that if you take high-quality
calcium supplements and get lots of natural sunlight exposure or take premium
vitamin D supplements (such as those made from fish oil), you could easily have
a greater reduction than the 77 percent reduction recorded in this study.

American Cancer Society opposes vitamin D

This research on vitamin D is such good news that the American Cancer Society,
of course, had to say something against it. An ACS spokesperson, Marji
McCullough, strategic director of nutritional epidemiology for the American
Cancer Society, flatly stated that nobody should take supplements to prevent cancer.

If it seems surprising to you that the American Cancer Society -- which claims
to be against cancer -- would dissuade people from taking supplements that slash
their cancer risk by 77 percent, then you don't know much about the ACS. In my
opinion, the ACS is an organization that actually prevents prevention and openly
supports the continuation of cancer as a way to boost its power and profits. The
ACS is the wealthiest non-profit in America and has very close ties to
pharmaceutical companies, mammography equipment companies and other corporations
that profit from cancer. Notice the name, too: It isn't the American Anti-Cancer
Society, it's the American Cancer Society! What they really stand for is right
in the name!

<CONTINUED> <http://www.newstarget.com/021892.html>

--

Steve - [log in to unmask]

Take World's Smallest Political Quiz at
http://www.theadvocates.org/quiz.html

"If a thousand old beliefs were ruined on our march
to truth we must still march on." --Stopford Brooke