Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sun, 4 Mar 2007 20:19:17 +0000
From:
Ashley Moran <[log in to unmask]>
7bit
Sender:
On Feb 28, 2007, at 2:03 pm, Adrienne Smith wrote:

> Quenching free radicals is why many of us gobble antioxidant rich
> veggies/fruits/tea etc and supplement with vitamins etc.  Dr. Segal
> claim
> that doing so may not be such a good idea -- link below.  Thoughts? I
> figured this was on-topic given that the overwhelming view is that
> fruits
>
> and veggies are and important part of a paleoish diet.

I'm sure there are lots of benefits to eating fruit and veg - they
wouldn't taste nice if there weren't - but they are far from
essential.  Again, thanks goes to the Inuit for demonstrating how
people can live healthily in situations most people consider
impossible.  If I'm right, the Masai also did not traditionally eat
vegetables, considering them only suitable as cattle fodder.

I still believe that all food supplements are a waste of time.
Anything that is essential to human life must be easily obtainable
from a natural diet.  However I'd be surprised if they were harmful.
The article only says "At least two US studies published in 2001
suggested that antioxidant supplements interfere with the protective
action of cholesterol-lowering drugs", and anyone that thinks people
should be taking cholesterol-lowering drugs in the first place is
clearly not qualified to comment on dietary supplements.

Ashley