AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Thu, 19 Oct 2006 10:04:30 -0700
8bit
From:
Dean Makuluni <[log in to unmask]>

Join African Association of Madison, Inc. for $25 per year

Mail check to; AAM, PO Box 1016, Madison, WI 53701,
www.AfricanAssociation.org

Felix:

Today is October 19, the moment of truth. So, attached is an article I am
sending for African Talking Drum. I am sending a copy of the article to
Anita, who has agreed to edit. The final version should be available once
she completes the editing.

Thanks,

Dean

--- f ossia <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

---------------------------------
Join African Association of Madison, Inc. for $25 per year
Mail check to; AAM, PO Box 1016, Madison, WI 53701,608-258-0261,
[log in to unmask],www.AfricanAssociation.org

The Communications Committee of the African Association of Madison, Inc.
is soliciting articles for the upcoming issue of the African Talking Drum.
You may write on any topic of you like that is of general interest to the
African Community.
Alternatively, you may wish to write on one of these topics, if you feel
so inclined:
1) The role of the media/journalism in emerging democracies in Africa
or
2) Opportunities and Challenges of land redistribution in post
colonial/post apartheid southern Africa.  The Deadline for your articles
is Oct. 18, 2006 and send them to [log in to unmask]

A little background on the first topic - Democracy is breaking out all
over Africa; in Liberia, Sierra Leone, Namibia, Niger, Chad, Rwanda etc.
But here are some of today's headlines from all over the continent- 'South
Africa: FXI Condemns Gagging of Mail and Guardian Newspaper by
Johannesburg High Court'; 'Burundi: Journalists Receive Death Threats As
Ruling Party Supporters Target Radio Station in Aggressive Campaign';
'Gambia: Public TV Reporter Freed After a Week in Secret Police Custody,
Then Fired';

"Côte d'Ivoire: Managing Editor, Journalist And Editor Charged With
'Offence Against the Head of State'";

'Sudan: Authorities Intensify Newspaper Censorship And Seizures' etc.

We will appreciate someone articulating or informing us on the role of the
journalist/media in our new democracies.

Thanks for your anticipated cooperation.

Felix Ossia