Date:
Mon, 1 Oct 2007 20:58:07 -0600

Hi All--

I found my recipe for carrot cookies on About.com. Since the recipe is
posted on the internet, I'm hoping I'm not breaking copyright laws by
posting it here with our obligatory substitutions. This is a soft, only
slightly sweet cookie, which doesn't really taste like carrots, but they do
give the cookies color.

1 c. shortening (I use Crisco - and use 1-2 Tbs less than 1 c. - too much
shortening will cause them to spread during baking)
3/4 c. sugar (you can use less sugar - probably 1/2 c.)
1 large egg
1 c. cooked & mashed carrots (I cook them until soft and chop/blend them in
a small chopper, but you can use a fork to mash if they're soft enough)
1 tsp vanilla
2 c. GF flour mixture (I use Bette Hagman's featherweight mix, but any light
mix of GF flours would work)
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

Cream shortening, vanilla and sugar until fluffly. Add egg and beat until
smooth. Add carrots and blend well. Combine and whisk the GF flour, baking
powder and salt. Add to shortening mix. Stir or mix until well blended. The
dough will be soft, but shouldn't be too wet. Add more flour if it's too
soft. Place in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate several
hours or over night.

Drop by teaspoon on a very lightly oiled cookie sheet. Keep unused dough in
refrigerator until ready to bake. Bake in a 350 degree preheated oven for 15
to 20 minutes. Check often - the cookies should not brown on top and only
lightly brown on the bottoms. They should be slightly firm when touched with
your finger. Cool on wire rack. If the first batch spreads, add more flour
to the remaining dough - the cookies should hold their shape while baking.

Frosting

2 c powdered sugar
1 1/2 Tbs margarine or butter
4-5 Tbs orange juice or enough to make frosting of spreading consistency

Frost cookies when they are cool and freeze in freezer bag to keep fresh.
Makes approx. 30-48 cookies.  Enjoy!   ~~Ayn in Alabama