From:
Valerie WELLS <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Valerie WELLS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Jan 2008 10:06:06 -0800

I've been on this diet for 8 years.  I've never once called a manufacturer to verify GF status of ANY product.  I've just read the labels w/ due caution and avoided purchasing products w/ vague or suspicious sounding ingredients.  [Many celiac oriented websites contain comprehensive lists of suspicious ingredients to avoid.]  Only once in these 8 years have I reason to suspect that a food I purchased contained hidden gluten.  And this was 7 years ago during my first year on the GF diet well before food processors started carefully labeling for allergens.  I'm more confident now than ever about the gluten status of foods from reading the labels.  I seriously doubt I'll ever feel the need to call a manufacturer to verify gluten status.

As hard as I try, I average getting accidentally "glutenated" about 3 or 4 times a year.  Every incident except for the one I referred to above was due to cross contamination from grand children's hands & fingers, my or other family members' mistakes at home, or from eating "out."

Even w/ the mistakes I do make from time to time, I'm enjoying splendid health.

Valerie in Tacoma