From:
Valerie WELLS <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Valerie WELLS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Sep 2007 15:16:08 -0700

The discussion continues ...
----------------
Since I went GF 7 years ago I have been very strict and never purposely
strayed.  I was ill for over 10 years previously.  I never want to go back
to feeling that way again therefore will never go off my diet.
1)    always pay bills on time and have good credit   (NO, not really.  I
tend to procrastinate.  But have had better control of my credit than I did
before I went GF.  But still not very good in this department)
2)    have control over credit cards and debts  (Again , not really)
3)    stick with the same job/profession for decades  (Not for decades but
have the same job for 3 years and same rental home for 5.  Been GF for 7)
4)    have a life plan and follow it (No, not really.  I just try to live
day by day)
5)    always make it to appointments on time (Generally, yes, but have
always been this way)
6)    keep promises/commitments even if it's not convenient (Generally, yes
but always been this way)
7)    have at least one college degree (No.  Barely made it through high
school.  Interestingly enough make twice as much than my sisters who both
have PHD's)
8)    not do drugs or alcohol or abuse prescription drugs (No, never had
that personality.  However, do have addictions, food, cigarettes.  Did lose
130 lbs but never able to lose the cigarette
addiction)
9)    not have a diagnosis of clinical depression (Not clinical depression
but depression yes)
10)  not have an overly messy home (whoa I do have a messy home, more like
cluttered.  My clutter is all organized though, believe it or not)
11)  not compulsively shop or collect lots of 'stuff' (I tend to do both)
12)  tend to be competitive (Yes, very competitive)
13)  refuse to hand control of their health totally over to the doctor (I
diagnosed myself , convinced my Dr. to do a biopsy after a year of begging.
I only see a doc for my yearly gastro exams, I do the rest)
------------------------------
I do not think the personality type argument holds much water. I find it
very difficult to do anything on time including paying my bills. I don't
have time to read through the whole thing, but I would assume that all kinds
of different sorts of folks are able to stick to the diet for a variety of
very different reasons related to how much they value their health, and how
severe their symptoms are and everywhere in between. Thanks for the
discussion.it does open some thoughts.
Liz   Gluten Free or Bust!  Maryland
------------------------------
I'm absolutely loving this dialogue - I have always been fascinated by human
behavior- almost chose to be a  Behaviorist as a degree when I was in
college.  I totally think  the person who  compared it to an addiction had
an extremely good  point.  And DENIAL is an amazing thing.  Coming from a
family  with a lot of addiction  history, I am constantly amazed by the
ability we as humans have to  deceive ourselves.   I have told both my
brother and sister that they should be tested. Several weeks ago I sent them
pertinent websites and the  name of the blood test to request (from a Lab
site) and still  they have not done it.  I refuse to nag.  I am powerless
over other's behaviors and can only take control of my own diet/ health.  It
is hard to watch your family do something  irresponsible and down right
stupid.   My mother, despite my sharing all my symptoms, still doesn't
believe I have it.  She is waiting to hear what I say about the  endoscopy
before she believes it is true, even though I've  explained several  times
that the blood test was positive, and the only reason I'm doing the
endoscopy is 1. because the GI doc  recommended it and 2. a)  because they
want to make sure there is no cancer, b) that if I had  an ulcer -it's
healed (the final  straw that broke the camel's back-  was that I came to
the PCP  with ulcer symptoms- that is why the  Celiac test was FINALLY
ordered), and finally  c) to ascertain the  amount of damage done  by the
disease.   So after years of being  treated like I was a hypochondriac
/neurotic by physicians- I now  finally have proof  and my own family acts
like I have a little allergy problem and I'm greatly exaggerating or don't
believe me at  all.  Totally  bizarre- complete denial.  I am learning to
not take their wacky reactions personally. I am so very grateful for this
group of people on the World Wide  Web,  who believe me and understand me.
And I am practicing the  ideology  of the 12 step program to get me through.
  Thank  goodness I have a  sense of humor.  Heaven knows this is awesome
material for a stand up routine :) Yvonne
---------------------
Valerie-- we are twins -- I hate being sick, do anything to help myself stay
healthy, sometimes fear the years ahead when I may not be able to do what I
need to do.
Must say one more reason for resistance to the diet that I have not read
mentioned: Pride. There are people in this country who see being sick as
weak and therefore they refuse to think they have any such thing wrong.
These same people refuse to see themselves aging, too. My husband almost
died of a heart attack for a week, before pain got him to the hospital. He's
a big strong fella, you know. He shows all signs of gluten intolerance with
stomach upset when ingesting more than 1 hamburger bun, enough so that he
keeps those hamburgers to one a week, or two, in which case he tolerates
upset and grabs my probiotics. <g> I have a friend who has mild fatigue
issues and at times severe neck and joint pain. She has a grandson with the
severe peanut allergy, as well as other food allergies, one of these proven
to wheat. I mentioned that her neck difficulties might be due to gluten,
that it runs in families. She said she knew that possibility, but then she
sends me e-mails about how she is so glad she does not have a food allergy,
that she is glad to be eating a homemade whole-wheat muffin she just made,
that others can not eat, how she does yoga and runs and walks and has
cosmetic skin jobs-- and also goes for massages, ice packs, etc., for the
neck pain. It is the "You are sick but I am better than you because I am
not" idea. Having celiac has been the best humbler for me. <g> I often have
to ask for help.  CurtissAnn