Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Ann Speer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Jan 2008 13:38:19 -0800

This is my summary of cross contamination. I figure I would copy & paste, so everyone could see the exact responses I rcvd. Thank you to all of you for answering my question. Ann

Tinkyada makes rice pastas in a dedicated facility.  I'm allergic to
everything including corn (except rice) and have not had trouble with Muir
Glenn tomato sauce, and roasted pepper & tomatos, in the couple of years
I've used them.

I had mysterious/disasterous reactions when eating only fresh
vegetables/fruits, then my husband figured out that the extra virgin organic
olive oil I used must be a culprit; only Philipo Berrio confirmed they
process ONLY olive oil on their machinery. Since switching to their olive
oil, I've had no problem.

My 3 year old child has Celaic Disease and occasionally complains of tummy aches and he says his legs are sometimes tired from walking???

I often wonder if it could be due to cross contamination??
 have found WalMart 's store brand, "Great Value"  is clearly either
labeled gluten free or processed in a facility that processes wheat, etc.  I
haven't had a problem eating anything that they have labeled gluten free.
I am very sensitive to cross contamination as well, so I understand.
I've always been fine with Muir Glenn and tomato sauce.  As far as
cereals go, Perky's is a dedicated facility and Bob's Red Mill has a
dedicated facility that makes numerous gf hot cereals (I love the Mighty
Tasty Hot Cereal and they have gf oats).  Nature's Path tests all of
their products, I love the Morning Sunrise.
We use Muir Glen pasta sauce and Prego Traditional without any kind of issues at all.
I'm also a biopsy-diagnosed Celiac, so I understand the concerns

You might want to try Healthy Vally, I do not know if it is or isn't made in a factory with wheat - but its worth looking into. (I dont happen to have a container with me right now).

We use Muir Glen ketchup (they also make tomato sauce) without a problem
but have problems with
Amys and Vans and other places that have wheat in the facility.
We used to like the Enjoy Life granola which is supposed to be from a
clean facility but they have
changed the recipe.  You might like it ok.  Also Tinkyada pasta is from
a dedicated wf/gf facility.
Good luck

We make granola in our gluten-free shop.  We will be selling our
marinara sauce soon.

If you go to Allergygrocer.com and look at the bottoms of pages for individual food items, you will find out which are made on shared lines, in shared facilities or in gluten free facilities.  I, too, cannot eat Amy's and many  other commercially prepared "gluten free" foods.  Tomato sauce, however, is not a problem.  Many supermarket  brands are fine.  For cereals, I/ve discovered (using Allergygrocer) that Erewhon and Cer-O's are not contaminated.  I'm sure there are some corn cereals that are uncontaminated also.  Anything by Kinnikinnick and  Enjoy Life are uncontaminated also.
You can make your own tomato sauce if you think it is worth the work

Tinkyada makes rice pastas in a dedicated facility.  I'm allergic to
everything including corn (except rice) and have not had trouble with Muir
Glenn tomato sauce, and roasted pepper & tomatos, in the couple of years
I've used them.
I had mysterious/disasterous reactions when eating only fresh
vegetables/fruits, then my husband figured out that the extra virgin organic
olive oil I used must be a culprit; only Philipo Berrio confirmed they
process ONLY olive oil on their machinery. Since switching to their olive
oil, I've had no problem.

My personal philosophy is that if a food gives you problems you should
not eat it.  But that does not meat it is contaminated or that all
celiacs need to avoid that products.
Many of these companies like Amy's and Van's are small and could not
produce wheat free or gluten free products if they had to have 2
separate facilities.  Also the cleaning processes in these facilities
are often better than those employed in many celiac's homes where
there are gluten and GF eaters.  So I feel comfortable with these
products.
My celiac daughter often eats Amy's frozen foods.  It is very
convenient for her when she is at school or at a friend's house.  She
has her celiac blood work repeated every year and she shows no sign of
gluten contamination.  Since she eats these products at least once a
month, if there were issues with contamination it would show in her
blood work.
Again, we each have to decide what it right for our bodies.  If this
sauce bothers your husband you should find another brand.  But that
does not necessarily mean that it is unsafe for celiacs.
I hope this helps.