THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Thu, 13 Jan 2005 12:58:18 EST
> From:   "Stubblefield, Laurie" <[log in to unmask]>
>
>     .including those with Hashimoto's. Thanks for the information on
> Wilson's. Is your wife better now that >>
>>            .she has had this treatment?  No regressions?

Let me explain it didn't end with the Wilson's cycles, but she's on a steady
dose of timed release T3.  And, I consider her thyroid treatment to be 100%
effective.

I do not have Addison's Disease, I have mild adrenal insufficiency which many
doctors discard.  However, when I went on Cortef (5 mg 4 times daily, a
normal replacement amount) symptoms that went away included chest pain, rheumatoid
pain in the hips, and frequent urination.   In Addison's, frequent but low
volume urination is common.  One might wonder about diabetes since they share
that symptom.   I think one gets a bit dehydrated, because it seems all the water
you drink is simply excreted.

Doctors aren't afraid to give someone having an allergic reaction 60 to 80 mg
of Prednisone, but try to get the equivalent of 5 mg of Prednisone for mild
adrenal insufficiency, and your doctor might tell you to go elsewhere as mine
did.

http://www.merck.com/mmhe/sec06/ch091/ch091k.html
There are several specific types of ataxia.
 People with dysarthria have poor coordinationof speech muscles, causing
slurred speech and uncontrolled fluctuations in volume.

Anything that damages the cerebellum can lead to incoordination
(ataxia).Prolonged alcohol abuse is the most common cause of damage to the cerebellum.
Other causes include strokes, tumors, bleeding (hemorrhage) in the brain, repeated
head injuries, multiple sclerosis, birth defects of the brain, and
underactive thyroid gland (hypothyroidism), a high fever, certain toxic substances (such
as carbon monoxide and heavy metals), and undernutrition.
*********************

The Merck manual includes hypothyroidism as a potential cause.  It appears to
be the most curable in the list.  Also, mercury would be on the list.   Many
dentists still say that mercury is safe, but around 1900 they used mercury in
teething powders.  In the vast majority of babies, it did no harm.  But, they
stopped using it because it caused severe permanent damage to some.  I suspect
mercury in fillings may be the same.

It's not a surprise to many that are hypothyroid, that it could cause speech
troubles.  Some of us can't think of the words in mid sentence, others slur
their speech.  But, not all of us.  My wife said even when she couldn't do
anything else, she could talk with no effort.

> >.  True APD is not curable-we come up with coping strategies.

Yeah, and asthma, plantar fascitis, and other problems don't go away with
thyroid treatment.  Unless of course, you get adequately treated.

It may not be curable in all cases.  But, if you check back to the archives I
mentioned, someone thought their son's APD was cured on Armour.  It probably
isn't unusual.

Doc Don said there wasn't a neurological disorder that low thyroid couldn't
mimic, and this is a neurological problem of some kind.

Gargling 2% hydrogen peroxide is good for the throat.  I haven't had a sore
throat since I started doing this, and they used to be somewhat frequent.  It's
also helpful to put it in the ears, since the ears are linked to the sinuses.
 It can kill some of those harmful microbes that cause problems.

You also need a lot of Vitamin C when sick.  I've found it's helpful to take
2,000 mg every hour or so, and most illnesses run their course much faster.
It seems like it's involved in collagen synthesis which might make a split lip
take longer to heal if it was low.

Also, be aware that there is such a thing as excessive water intake.  In some
cases, marathon runners have died from drinking too much water.  Especially
if one has low adrenals, I think it dilutes the sodium, which is quite
necessary for life.  I don't think that theory on drinking 8 glasses of water a day
has been scientifically tested.

Furthermore, if you drink city water, then you're getting fluoride and
chlorine which aren't particularly good for you.  Avoiding thirst may be a good
gauge to how much one should drink.

Skipper