THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Holly Jagger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Nov 2003 19:27:24 -0500
Pam,
Actually, after I sent my last post, I reread your original message, and
did figure out that the difference was due to the source of estrogen.
Having premature ovarian failure, I took oral premarin/provera for 19
years (diagnosed 1984, luckily after having had three children!).  Then
on the NIH website, I found out that Dr. Nelson's top recommendation is
to try estrogen patch with oral progesterone 12 days of the month, so a
cycle would occur monthly.  I went to my gyn with the info, and his
recommendation was to 1) reduce hrt to the lowest effective dose  2)
change from oral to another method of administration, at a comparable
dose level.  I already use testosterone cream topically, just a little
every day, cause I need a bit of androgen replacement too.  (No adrenal
function whatsoever, so I am a bag of bones without it!)  Rather than
another cream, he is having me try the Combi-Patch starting Dec. 1
(estrogen and a bit of progesterone every day).  So I may be in for a
ten year adjusting period too...
The good thing, I guess, is no period!  hurray!!  unless I have to
switch back to a cyclical method...
and the other good thing?  Well, if your doc is right then my thyroid
should be happier.  I am not yet hypothyroid, but we are watching and
waiting.  Maybe the patch will save my thyroid!
thanks very much for this info, and for the correction
Holly

 If you "Reply" to a message, and *you* fail to erase or delete
  the previous message, *your* message may not be distributed.

Question not answered on Thyroid? Check the Thyroid Archives:
  http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/thyroid.html
 and ask again!