THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Pam Beckman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Nov 2003 18:52:38 -0600
Holly
My Dr didn't say all estrogens increase the need for thyroid...just the
oral ones....He had an explanation for it, that I don't quite remember
now.  And in my case, the topical cream form in the same dosage allowed me
to reduce the dosage to what it had been before I needed any HRT.     So,
for me the thyroid was not affected with topical HRT replacement, but
doubled with oral HRT.  In any case, I feel better with the set up I have
now.
So I would change your statement  (see below)  about what my (Pam's) dr
said to:
Taking ORAL HRT (both estrogen and progesterone) will increase your need
for thyroid hormone
Topical HRT (again, both estrogen and progesterone) is not as likely to
increase your need for thyroid.

By the way, I have found that the solution is not static either....there
will be lots and lots of adjustments over a period of several years before
you find the combination that works the best.... For me this has been a ten
year process!  I originally went to the doctor thinking I was starting
menopause early only to find out that my thyroid was so low that it was not
supporting my female hormones.  For a few years, thyroid replacement alone
worked wonders, but then I kept getting older!  But the good news is that I
feel really great now, and have learned so much.
Pam

Holly wrote:
my (Holly's) endo and gyn say:
lower estrogen causes need for greater thyroid hormone
higher estrogen (hrt, etc.) causes need for less thyroid hormone

yours (Pam's) say:
higher estrogen causes need for higher thyroid hormone
lower estrogen causes need for lower thyroid hormone