THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Skipper Beers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Aug 2001 13:44:19 EDT
>  Ira Verwoert <[log in to unmask]>

>  Now, somebody told me that a lot of hyper symptoms (fatigue and joint pain)
>  are the same as hypo symptoms. So, how would you tell the difference if you
>  do not exhibit classical hypersymptoms (heart racing, sweating, nervous,
>  diarrheae weightloss etc.)?

First comment, have you had an AM random cortisol taken?  If reading is under
12, Jacob Teitalbaum, "Fatigued to Fantastic" recommends it.  It helped me a
lot, but the family doctor of 5 years told me to go find another doctor when
mine was 11 and asked for it.  (normal range 2-22)  From the synthroid
website on that, " SYNTHROID is also contraindicated in the patients with
uncorrected adrenal insufficiency, as thyroid hormones increase tissue
demands for adrenocortical hormones and may thereby precipitate acute adrenal
crisis"   So, you are unlikely to feel much better if that's not treated it
can also lead to worse things.

Here's the symptoms synthroid lists, "You should notify your doctor if you
experience any of the following symptoms, or if you experience any other
unusual medical event: chest pain, shortness of breath, hives or skin rash,
rapid or irregular heartbeat, headache, irritability, nervousness,
sleeplessness, diarrhea, excessive sweating, heat intolerance, changes in
appetite, vomiting, weight gain or loss, changes in menstrual periods, fever,
hand tremors, leg cramps"

Yes, some of them can be hypo symptoms too.  I've had chest pain that went
away with increases, my son had shortness of breath before treatment, in
prolonged hypo the heartbeat can speed up, my wife's slowed down with
increases.  Yes, I can relate them to either one.  However, my thought is if
your heart rate is fine there's not likely to be a problem.  If your heart
rate is too high (I used to say 80, now I say 100 because it's not dangerous)
then it's time to verify if this is still hypothryoidism by taking your
temperature.  As for Wilson's Syndrome, why not take it 1 hour,, 4 hours and
7 hours after getting up in the morning and average the 3, and if taken with
a glass thermometer orally if it's under 98.6 it's most likely still hypo
problems.  If well under 98.6 there's not much question.

Skipper Beers

  Thyroid Welcome Message (Instructions) Always Available
 Anyone can obtain a fresh, new copy of the Thyroid Welcome
 message at any time (24/7) by sending an e-mail message
 saying only "get Thyroid Welcome" (remove quotes) to our
 sleepless robot at <[log in to unmask]>. Its free.