Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Carolyn Mann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Jul 2007 12:44:46 -0700

http://members.aol.com/SynergyHN/allergy22b.html     In listing the types of
reactions, I should mention one other irritant, though I have good news that
there is a way you can probably avoid the negative effects. I am referring
to oxalates, which are abundant in spinach, tomatoes, nuts, rhubarb, tea,
figs, berries, whole wheat and wheat bran, green beans and a number of other
things (see Vulvar Pain Foundation's The Low Oxalate Cookbook,
336/226-0704). Oxalates seem to be a problem for vulvodynia patients and can
cause intestinal problems if one already has a sensitive or inflamed
gastrointestinal tract. So, I was happy to read in Harrison's Principles of
Internal Medicine (1997, p. 1572) that consuming calcium lactate causes the
oxalate to precipitate out and is recommended for hyperoxaluria (they also
mention using cholestyramine, an oxalate-binding resin). Since I found
sunflower seeds to be a relatively hypoallergenic food for me, I was
relieved to find that a calcium lactate capsule with the seeds seemed to
eliminate the gastrointestinal irritation from the oxalates that I
experienced when I ate them. It was suggested that 8 to 14 g/day of calcium
lactate be taken to bind the oxalates. I took only about 2 grams/day (yields
300 mg calcium), but perhaps some people need more, depending on how much
oxalate they consume. Other forms of calcium should also work, but perhaps
not quite as well as the lactate. You may want to determine whether high
oxalate foods bother you and see whether calcium supplements eliminate the
negative effect.

Note:  I cannot tolerate calcium citrate.

http://www.dadamo.com/forum/convert3/config.pl?read=889

http://www.dadamo.com/forum/convert3/config.pl?read=924

http://www.acu-cell.com/btd.html  [click on link; couldn't get this to stop
pasting far right margin]Fluctuating nutritional requirements as a result of
aging also invalidate "eat-right-4-your-blood type"

concepts, where a blood group-specific lifestyle is supposed to be
maintained throughout a lifetime.

For instance, a lot of changes take place post middle age.  Along with the
usual hormonal slowdown,

an individual's stomach acid, potassium, or zinc levels frequently decline,
while phosphorus and/or
sodium levels tend to increase - independent of dietary intake or blood
type.

These chemical changes may result in elevated blood sugar, water retention,
or high blood pressure,

and despite being Type O, may require a reduced intake of meat and other
phosphate sources, and

a higher intake of dietary or supplemental potassium and zinc.  One could
consider another Type O

individual who has been enjoying and tolerating a high protein (red meat)
diet all his life, and who eats

E.Coli-contaminated hamburger, ending up with kidney damage.  Obviously, his
blood type is still Type

O, but unless he changes more to a "Type A Diet" now (more fruits,
oxalate-free vegetables, low purine

diet), he will either soon encounter his first gout attack, or worse, he'll
be soon on dialysis.

http://www.acu-cell.com/btd.html  [click on link, look for Spinach, etc]
Spinach <http://deliciousorganics.com/recipes/spinachsnap.htm> , Chard
<http://www.deliciousorganics.com/recipes/greens.htm#Chard> , Beets and Beet
Greens <http://deliciousorganics.com/recipes/beet.htm> , Mustard
<http://www.deliciousorganics.com/recipes/greens.htm#Mustard Greens>
Greens, Sweet <http://www.deliciousorganics.com/recipes/potatoes.htm#Sweet
Potatoes>  Potatoes ,
<http://www.deliciousorganics.com/Controversies/peanuts.htm> Peanuts,
Almonds, Cashews, (most nuts), Beans, Soybeans, Rhubarb, Plantains, Ginger
<http://www.deliciousorganics.com/recipes/herbs.htm#GINGER> , Pumpkin
<http://www.deliciousorganics.com/recipes/squash.htm#Pumpkin> , Cabbage
<http://www.deliciousorganics.com/recipes/greens.htm#Cabbage> , Green Beans
<http://deliciousorganics.com/recipes/beans.htm> , Mango, Eggplant
<http://www.deliciousorganics.com/recipes/eggplant.htm> , Tomatoes and
<http://www.deliciousorganics.com/recipes/tomatoes.htm>  Tomatillos,
Lentils, Parsnips, Bell Peppers
<http://www.deliciousorganics.com/recipes/peppers.htm> , Black Pepper,
Parsley <http://www.deliciousorganics.com/recipes/herbs.htm#Italian or Flat
Parsley> , Rhubarb, Summer
<http://www.deliciousorganics.com/recipes/summersquash.htm>  Squash, Star
Fruit, Berries (especially Strawberries
<http://www.deliciousorganics.com/recipes/strawberries.htm>  and
Cranberries), Oats, Coffee, Tea, Chocolate
<http://www.deliciousorganics.com/Controversies/chocolate.htm>  and Cocoa,
and  contain oxalic acid which while limiting the absorption of calcium also
cleans the intestinal tract.  Eat these things 2-3 hours before eating dairy
or taking calcium supplements to maximize calcium absorption.  Debate exists
whether it is more beneficial to cook these things, like spinach and chard,
or eat it raw (juice it).  Cooking turns the oxalic acid into crystals that
are sharp and in large quantities can damage the stomach, kidneys and limit
the absorption of iron, but cooking also breaks down cell walls and allow us
to absorb more nutrients.  The answer?  Moderation and variety.  Very large
amounts could cause calcium and other nutritional deficiencies.  People with
kidney or gallbladder problems may want to avoid these foods.