From:
Hot Head <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 8 Nov 2007 11:45:57 -0500

Hello all.

Recently a member posted a query about mainstream brands of (not pure
maple) pancake syrups.  Years ago, I stopped buying any of these,
because I just wasn't comfortable with the questionable ingredients.

So I switched to pure maple syrups, but had difficulty finding one
that I really liked as well as I liked these pancake syrups I'd grown
up eating!  In fact, It seemed the more expensive the pure maple
syrup, the less I liked it.  Go figure!

After much experimenting and learning, I ended up with my favorite
pure syrup being Trader Joe's 100% Pure Maple Grade B syrup.  This
actually tastes the most, to me, like the brands of pancake syrup I
grew up with.  I also learned that there are some major differences
among the different grades that syrups use on their labels -- and
there are reasons why I (personally) like Grade B best, and it isn't
really an inferior type of syrup.  It just has different properties
from the others.

Following is a really great explanation of various grades of maple
syrups, and I hope it is helpful for anyone deciding to take the
plunge and start using the real thing, instead of constantly reading
the latest label on any of the mainstream pancake syrups.  I wish I'd
had this info when I first started experimenting with pure maple
syrups -- I'd have saved a lot of $$ !!

Here is the link:
http://www.cookingforengineers.com/article/16/Maple-Syrup-Grades