From:
"Laura B." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Laura B.
Date:
Wed, 12 Sep 2007 08:18:08 -0400

Hi Everyone.

I only received 1 response to my question regarding sources for testing food
for Gluten.  But, I received a number of responses asking me to summarize.
So it seems that there is a lot of interest out there but not a lot of
information.  If I get more info, I'll pass on to the group.

The 1 person who responded - recommended that I take a look at ELISA
labratories - they have a kit that does some testing.  I read the info and it
seemed a bit complicated since I wanted to do some M&M testing and the kit
requires a homogeneous sample and washing the sample, etc...

I was originally looking for a labratory that I could send samples into.

I contacted ELISA.  To send a sample of food it coulds $150 per sample and
the "order" form is on their website.

http://www.elisa-tek.com/

When I talked to ELISA they told me that the kit they currently have available
is not really for home use.  BUT that they are coming out SOON with a new
HOME kit (like a pregnancy test) to test for gluten.  It is going to be released
soon - but she didn't know when and suggested that I watch their website.

She couldn't answer many questions but what I did gather from her is the
following:

You would smash up the food and mix with a solution they give you.  You
would put the test strip in the solution and wait for some lines to appear (like
a pregnancy test).  The faintness of the line could tell you how 'Severe" the
gluten is - but won't tell you exactly how much gluten is in the food.  I asked
her at what ppm would the line start showing up - she said that she cannot
release that information until the product is released (any day now).  She also
couldn't tell me prices.

I have NO idea if they are working with the FDA on this - I didn't ask.

Would be great if this works!  If anyone finds out more info on this or has
more info on other home or labratory testing - I would be greatfully interested!

Regards,
Laura

*******
*******