From:
Jonathan Nichols <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jonathan Nichols <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Sep 2007 20:43:10 -0400

I contacted Dutch Wonderland and received a reply today.   They will
make food separate from the rest of the food in the kitchen to
accommodate needs.   I told them that I just needed something simple
for my 5 year old.   We agreed that they would cook a hot dog and
french fries separate in the oven.    The man I spoke to was the
manager and he assured me that he would be in the kitchen and will
make sure that there is no cross contamination.   He seemed fairly
knowledgeable.  I told them what time we would be eating lunch and
they will have the food ready for us at the "Tree-house Terrace".
I inquired about other snacks and was told that the soft serve ice
cream at the "Turnpike Sweetstop" and the "Tropical Treats" stands
were gf.     Some food is produced by outside vendors but if you ask
they will contact the vendor to find out the gf status.
I was also told that you are allowed to bring one meals worth of food
into the park if you tell the security guard that you or your child
has "Severe Food Allergies".  Of course we all know it's a disease,
not an allergy.   But if you don't feel like getting into the long
explanation as to what Celiac Disease is,  say "severe food
allergies" and they will wave you in without further question.

Here is the contact info.:
Kenneth Losch
Food and Beverage Lead Supervisor/Coordinator

Dutch Wonderland Family Entertainment Complex
2249 Lincoln Highway East
Lancaster, PA 17602
o. 717.606.5320
f.  717.606.5356
c. 717.315.3521

Here is some more info. I received about the surrounding area from
someone who lives in Lancaster:

Our daughter enjoyed DW when she was little; most of  the rides were
scaled to a child, but her Dad was able to go on some of them with
her.  They used to go by tickets so you could pick and choose what to
ride, but it was sold  a couple years ago to the people who own
Hershey Park, and now you have to pay to walk in the door.  If the
policies are like HP, you can't bring food in.  We did anyway for our
daughter when we went to HP, in zip baggies in our purses, and a
couple of bottles of spring water along with a copy of her gastro
doctor's letter detailing her celiac disease and numerous food
allergies.  We were never challenged (they xray the bags), but I was
prepared to threaten to sue if I had to becasue this is  kid who gets
sick even breathing stuff. The new owners have made alot of changes -
closing the wax museum, creating a visitor center, adding rides.
They may have food now; the old owners only had snacks, candy, soda
and souvenirs.

On Route 30 near DW there are alot of restaurants.  I don't know if
you have other allergies.  There is a health food store, Rhubarbs, on
Route 501 just south of 30 between Giant Market & CVS on the center
island, behind RB Shap shoes.  They have frozen and boxed gf stuff.
There is a Chinese place, Ming Garden, on Fruitville Pike in the
KMart shopping center just north of 30 and have several white dishes
(no soy sauce) on their bar.  The lady who is usually at the front
desk speaks pretty good English and will ask questions for you from
the kitchen

Giant Mkt. has a decent salad bar that is fresh but don't buy their
bbq chicken as some of the varieties have wheat starch and I don't
know if they drip on each other in the rotisserie.

On 72 between 30 and 283 (you get to it from 283, no exit on 30) is
Lyndon Diner.  They will answer questions about ingredients, serve
burgers without buns, bare salad, etc.

The Old Country Buffet on Fruitville Pike just below 30 in Red Rose
Commons shopping ctr. at supper (not lunch) has some carved meats and
the mgr. has been good about showing us the packaging with
ingredients.  Lunch has alot of croquet and gravy stuff that does not
work for a celiac but supper has carved meats, broiled fish and other
stuff, decent salad bar with fruit, clean.

Up Route 23 in New Holland is Yoders Restaurant on the right side set
back in at a traffic light opposite Garden Spot High School.  They
have a grill and you can order items with 'no sauce' or whatever you
want.  They have a carved meat or meats some nights and you can also
order off menu as the buffet usually has alot with wheat in it.  The
people are nice and they are helpful.  The guys on the grill will do
stuff to order.