From:
Donna &/or Kieran <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Donna &/or Kieran <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Apr 2008 09:17:38 -0500

    Someone at work got an invitation to sign up for a talk by Dr. D'Adamo
in Oct.  If I thought it was cheap, I'd go just to heckle.  So I looked up
his website and see that the good "Dr" D is cashing in on his fame.  There
are testimonials, I read two, one by a type O who got rid of her apparent CD
symptoms by going off wheat plus various other foods he says are bad for
type O.  Then about a woman who's MS symptoms abated when she went off wheat
plus various other foods he says type B should avoid.
    His books are full of botanical errors, as he tells various types to
avoid one shape of Brassica oleracea but not other shapes (broccoli good,
cabbage bad), the European form of Brassica napa vs the Asian form (turnip
greens good, chinese cababage bad).   And since he is completely blind to
the notion of gluten intolerance, he tells type O to avoid wheat but that
spelt and Ezekial Bread are fine.  I have met my share of people who think
he is God's gift, obviously have CD and are eating E. bread because the book
says they can.  What I find extremely interesting is that a more recent book
of his tells each of the 4 types to avoid wheat.  WELL, anyone with gluten
intolerance who tries that will get so much better they will indeed think he
is a genius.  The trouble is, that like the low carb promoters, he has
ALMOST hit the nail on the head.  The low carbers came closer, because they
cut out the spelt and E. breads too.  But then along came the big companies
jumping on the low carb bandwagon, and they broke it.  Frozen and fast foods
were stamped "low carb" but contained small amounts of wheat, and bingo,
nobody felt good on that diet anymore.  The low carb craze evaporated
practically overnight, and the gluten free items dropped to make room for LC
returned with a vengence, fueled by all those low carbers who either figured
out they had gluten intolerance, or at the least decided that they had a
"wheat allergy".
    This is an invitation to grouse, not here of course, but if you'll
grouse to me I'll post a summary including the best blood type stories.   I
have tried to talk to our biggest local Blood type hyping person, who I've
known for years, but she won't listen.   I wish some of us would get on
their support groups and use words like "gluten intolerance."   I do it in
my hometown person by person, but hmmm.... I can change an article I've
written.  Maybe I can reach more of them that way, as someone is setting up
a website for me.  If any of you would like an article comparing the BTD to
gluten free, put "Article request" as subject heading, and when I get it
done I'll send it to you.    Donna

*******
*******