From:
Pamela Onges <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Pamela Onges <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Dec 2007 13:30:47 -0500

Thanks for all the great feedback!
Here's what others suggest:

I use Carb BOOM which is GF - Good luck in Boston!

Supposedly powerade, gatorade and Gu are
gluten free.   Ultimately I just started
making my own sports drink for hydration/energy that
is basically sucrose based lemonade, and it seems to
work pretty well.  I just carry it with me during the
run.

I can tell you that Hammer gel is GF, per the manufacturer as of just a
few months ago (I specifically checked with them).  That could at least
work, if gels suit your needs.

I like Lara bars because they're "real" food, with few ingredients, and
the flavors don't overpower my tastebuds.

I use Gatorade; Gatorade and Powerade are both GF, but Gatorade sits
better on my stomach for long rides. Accelerade and Endurox used to be GF
They don't mix as well with water as straight Gatorade

gluten-free rolled oats and watermelon.

PureFit bars

Both GF bread and pasta have more carbs in than the regular. I bake my own
bread so it tastes better than what I could buy, you might decide to do the
same thing.  And do not forget bananas and potatoes.

I am a cyclist.  As far as gels are concerned, Hammer, Gu and CarBoom are
gluten free.  The gels containing branch chain amino-acids are most beneficial
for endurance sports.

I had bought Carboom in the past becasue I liked their flavors, but I as began
to do longer rides, I found Gu gels worked much better because of the branch
chain amino acids.

I also use 1st endurance electrolyte fuel system during the ride and recover
drink after a ride.

I use Larabars and the Cliff Mojo bars (the ones w/out pretzels).

I use Gatorade and Power Gels, but this year I was going to try more Hammer
products -- lots of them are GF.  Good luck!

Gatorage is GF and so is Vitawater.

I am not sure whether you can eat Irish oatmeal - some of us can and I am
one of those I have this each morning after morning workouts, as I am dairy
intolerant I use almond milk and if I want to add more body and calories to
the breakfast( as I often work out for an 1hr 45 or more before work.) I add
almond butter( cant take peanuts)

I eat a lot of rice , GF pasta , and quinoa as a source of carbs for dinner

I mix the rices - wild, brown and amborio( to reduce fibre). During the day
at work I often have a snack of Nabisco cream of rice , again may add almond
butter .

Before and during events I use GU gels and Amino Vital ( drinks or fast
charge).

There are a number of bars you can use - 3bar see www.tri3bar.com. There
are others out there some advertised on this newsletter including purefitbar

    1.  Power Bar says that their gel is GF.  GU says the same thing.  I
went with PowerBar because that was the one that was supposed to be
available along the race (there was some at about mile 18).  To be clear
here, I'm not talking about the PowerBar bars, I'm talking about the GEL.
The bars are not GF.

    2.  I contacted the manufacturers of Accelerade and Endrox and both told
me that their products are GF.  I used both during training and I had two
bottles of Accelerade in the hours before the race.

    3.  I tried to eat bananas, peanut butter and honey before and after
long runs.  I also tried to make my own "goo" packets by putting honey and
nut butter in small plastic bags.  In the end they were too much trouble
(too sticky).

    4.  One thing I found useful was to have some Utz potato chips.  also had
some orange wedges.

    I have tried GF bars, but they don't sit well.

My kids use Gatorade/Powerade. However, this summer my nurse practitioner
friend told me that research shows that chocolate milk works better.

I'm a distance bicycle rider.  What works for me may not be possible running.
Im also sensitive to sugars so all sports drinks are out.   I drink water with 1
tsp salt, 1/2 to 1 tsp baking soda, water and honey to taste (about 2-3
ttablespoons).  It really works in hot weather for long rides.  I bring along
peaunt butter and honey on GF toast in a plastic bag.  A moistened wipe takes
care of sticky fingers.  If I have room, I bring a wrap made with Food For Life
Tortillas filled with cold meat and cheese.
I suppose that's too heavy for running, but does fuel the working body.  The
peanut butter and honey gives agood energy boost.

One of our local celiac runners did a  lot of research on this and it is
posted on our Got Guts 5K website.  You can find it at
http://www.gotguts5k.com/6.html .  Hope you find something there that you
like.

*******
*******