From:
"Barbara H." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Barbara H.
Date:
Sun, 21 Oct 2007 13:46:23 -0400

At a loss of how to explain Celiac/Gluten Sensitivity to friends and family or
have questions yourself?

Recommendation - Gluten Reactivity.net Primer
http://www.glutensensitivity.net/primer.pdf

I am an unofficial Celiac and have followed a gluten free diet for 26 years.
Blood tests did not exist then and Celiac was thought to be a rare occurrence.
My doctor chose not to do the biopsy since the improvements when I elimiated
wheat/gluten were so dramatic.

However, not having an official diagnosis meant that for 5 years I thought it
was ok to have my cheat day and another 10 years of exposure to some
hidden glutens.

I've suspected the excema, psoriasis and thyroid problems in my mother and
siblings were related to gluten intolerance. I have not developed these
problems. Over the past 26 years my siblings have steadfastly refused to
acknowledge any possibiliy of their skin or thyroid issues might be related to
gluten intolerance or celiac (they blamed it on our Mother).  About 4 years
ago, a 35 year old nephew noticed bloating etc. when he ate wheat. He went
on a gluten free diet without getting a diagnosis. This past summer my older
sister, who is now 67, noticed the digestive problems (mainly diahrrea)
improved when she eliminated all grains. She has just asked me if there were
any blood tests?  I searched recent postings and sent her a couple of the
most relevant and concise posts. I did not want to overwhelm her with
information.

In my search, I found a link to www.glutensensitivity.net which I followed to
get information on  gluten sensitivity vs celiac disease. On their website they
have a "Primer on Gluten Grain Sensitivities'.  From the first pages, this primer
has clarified and answered many of the questions I have had over the years.
It includes FAQ's, definitions, a Caution!, symptoms list, different schools of
thought, resources, etc. It is very comprehensive yet concise and clear for
the lay person. Yes, I sent the link to my sister!

Thank you to Olive Jennings Kaiser for preparing this Primer. I highly
recommend it. Check it out.
website - http://www.glutensensitivity.net/
for the primer, click on the box labelled 'Gluten Grain Sensitivities Primer'
or go to http://www.glutensensitivity.net/primer.pdf

Barb (BC, Canada)