From:
Tom Behler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Jul 2007 23:22:26 -0400
Hi, all.

Well, I just got back from a week-long net control operation for the
state-wide Michigander Bicycle Tour.  All went relatively well, with one
exception:

One of my TMV7A's apparently has decided to bite the dust.  Basically, I
think the finals are shot, because my signal into our local repeater is
extremely scratchy on 5 watts, and no better than that on the 10-watt, and
45-watt power setting.

So, I'm faced with the question of sending a ten-year-old radio in for
repairs, or just biting the bullet, and purchasing one of the new TMV71A's
with all the new technology.

I know the TMV71A has been discussed extensively on this list over the past
month or so, but I didn't pay much attention to the various posts since I
didn't think I'd be in the market for a new VHF/UHF radio for a while.

I have a few questions, and if someone wants to answer me "off list", that'd
be great.

If you write "off list, please use

Ok, here are my questions:

1.  Where can I get some good cheat sheets, key lay-out descriptions, and a
text version of the manual for the TMV71A?  I know that the Handiham
e-letter for this week mentions some sources of this kind of information,
which may be a good start for me, but perhaps someone has something even
more informative.

2.  What's the going price for the TMV71A?  Somewhere, I thought I read
around $410.

3.  Is it true that this radio requires a new VGS1 voice chip?  If so, does
it have to be installed into the rig, as was the case with the earlier
Kenwood models?

4.  For radio programming purposes, is the computer interface cable
provided, or must this be purchased as an additional accessory?

5.  Is the programming software available from the Kenwood web site, or must
that be purchased along with the programming cable?

Again, feel free to write to me privately about these questions, so we don't
clutter up the list with information that's already known.

Thanks very much, and 73 from Tom Behler: KB8TYJ