From:
"Ron Hoggan, Ed. D." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Sep 2009 17:06:32 -0700
Hi Phil,
We haven't even started the book yet. We have just agreed to start it this
fall. Nonetheless, I will definitely send you a copy of the segment that
explores this issue. I looked at a physiology textbook (Tortoran and
Grabowski 1996) and it says: "When the diet contains a large amount of
protein, as is typical in North America, normal metabolism produces more
acids than bases and thus tends to acidifythe blood rather than make it more
alkaline."

Thanks for the tip on growth hormones. I hadn't encoutered that in my
reading.

Mary Enig also talks about saturated fats being critical to bone health in
several ways including cholesterol's involvement in vitamin D metabolism.
She also cites a chapter titled "Food Lipids and Bone Health" by Watkins and
Seifert in a book Titled ""Food Lipids and Health" Edited by McDonald and
Min. Marcel Dekker Inc. NY, 1996 as her source for saying (about saturated
fats): "They play a vital role in the health of our bones. For calcium to be
effectively incorporated into the skeletal structure, at least 50% of the
dietary fats should be saturated."

That is not an ambiguous statement. I know that she has collaborated with
Loren Cordain on some publications so I think they must have discussed this
issue.

In any case, I've written to her to ask for clarification/explanation of her
strong statement in support of saturated fats for bone health.

I don't subscribe to the Paleo Diet Update Newsletter so can I ask you for a
citation on that? Did Wiley Long offer one?

Thanks in advance,
Ron