From:
Alec Wood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Jun 2008 11:39:55 -0700
----- Original Message ----
From: Brenda Young [log in to unmask]

> OK, I am a Christian member of this group, although not nearly as fervent as I should be, but still.  And the Bible that I READ (sorry, just > a note back to something someone else said...yes, some of us DO READ IT), advocates the eating of flesh, dunno where these vegans
> get otherwise, truly. It is NOT a sin to eat flesh, only in the Old Testament, and that was just for the Jews.  I am not trying to be
> "religious" here, but I wish people would get their stories straight.  The Bible that I read happens to go right along with Paleo, pretty
> much, don't understand why ya'all say it doesn't.  It does say stuff about bread and manna and stuff, yep, but who knows what was all in > it at that time.  Surely not "partially hydrogenated canola oil", lol.  Just my small opinion at this time of night.....

It is a frequent claim of vegetarians that they are vegetarian for religious or spiritual reasons.  Here is where they get their claim about the sin of eating meat.

 Adam and Eve were vegetarians

Genesis 1:29: (NIV)

Then God said, "I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food.

But that was just after Creation. Let's stroll over a few more pages:

Genesis 9:3 "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

If you back up one line and read Genesis 9:2 one could argue that God sanctioned hunting (But, of course it took government to sanction hunting licenses):

"The fear and dread of you will fall upon all the beasts of the earth and all the birds of the air, upon every creature that moves along the ground, and upon all the fish of the sea; they are given into your hands."

However the first  Kosher Law was also issued:

Genesis 9:4 "But you must not eat meat that has its lifeblood still in it. The remaining Kosher Laws were issued several hundred years later in the Book of Leviticus, but they don't add to this discussion.

Few vegetarians get past Genesis 1:29, but if they do they skip Genesis 9 altogther and go to the Book of Daniel. Daniel 1:15  and 1:16 makes vegetarians so giddy they just about pee their pants when they read it:

"At the end of the ten days they looked healthier and better nourished than any of the young men who ate the royal food. 16 So the guard took away their choice food and the wine they were to drink and gave them vegetables instead."

What is going on here is that Daniel and his buddies did not want to eat the kings meat and drink the kings wine (the royal food) because it had been sacrificed to Idols.  The kings guards were fearful that Daniel and his buddies would look sickly from not eating meat (they were slaves captured by the Babylonian King), so they agreed to try it for 10 days. The vegetarians read this and point out with glee that they were healthier by not eating meat for 10 days.  However, the true meaning of this passage is that God kept them healthy and made them more healthy despite not eating meat and drinking wine.  How do I make this claim?  Because if you read a few lines before this in Daniel 10:
"but the official told Daniel, "I am afraid of my lord the king, who has assigned your  food and drink. Why should he see you looking worse than the other young men your age? The king would then have my head because of you."
Also remind your vegetarian friends that Jesus fed 5,000 with two fish and 5 barley loafs not beans and rice.