Date:
Sun, 15 Jun 2008 13:52:51 -0500
In the specific case of cattle, a lot has to do with the size of the calf.
Grass has less energy and protein than prepared foods, so the calves may be
smaller and easier to bear.

The breed also affects this. Some beef breeds are bred for heavy bones and
muscle so the calves will be larger in the shoulders and harder to bear.
Farmers who breed a large breed bull to a smaller breed cow have to watch
the cows carefully and assist the birth sometimes.

I wonder if the exercise of the field cattle has an effect. We used to keep
our breeding hogs on pasture. The exercise was supposed to be good for them.