BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Cuyler Page <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The listserv that doubts.
Date:
Wed, 12 Sep 2007 10:21:31 -0700
Your measuring story reminds me of a carpenter I once worked with during my
first job on a commercial site, an old hand who taught me endless time
saving tricks with a string-line, but when we worked at measuring, the cut
and installed stuff was never up to my draftsmanly standard of perfection.

(Coming in from architecture, I treated the building site like a big
drafting table, and learned carpentry as we went along.   The contractor
hired me even though he had a full crew because I could "Do Angles!" as he
said.    "Can you Do Angles?!?!?", was his precise interview question, with
Italian emphasis on the Do and the Angles.   I could read the architect's
drawings and the job had a big angled wall the crew of former house-builders
could not figure out how to lay it out or build.)

Anyway, since the "experienced" crew foreman would not listen to the kid
from college, Ed, the quiet elder old hand, and I put ourselves together as
a mini-crew at the south end of the floor deck while the macho foreman and
his crew of hockey stars blasted away, building like crazy at the north end.
Over and over they to tear out their angled walls because they were in the
wrong spots, while Ed and I at the south end of the floor got all our stuff
right the first time.   But, I was going nuts because of potentially
progressive little 1/4" variations I could not explain, until I looked
carefully at Ed's tape measure technique.   The sliding end of his tape was
so worn with age that the slot in the tape allowed a good 1/4" variance
between pushing or pulling when taking a measure.   Ed, knowing his tool,
simply accounted for it by cutting on the left or right side of his pencil
marks depending whether his measure had been taken with a pull or a push.
He simply neglected to tell me and the problem came when we called numbers
to each other, until I convinced him to buy a new tape.

cp in bc