From:
T Behler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Jul 2007 10:25:29 -0400
Hi, all.

I realize that I might come up dry on this one, but I have a question:

Does anyone know of a Perkins Braille Writer that someone would either
donate or sell for a minimal price?

We have a blind ham in our area who is just learning Braille, and who would
like to have access to a Brailler.  She is in her 60's, is unemployed, and
is on a fixed income.  Therefore, she doesn't have any real disposable
income to spend on something like this.

The reason we are especially interested in helping her is that she has
become an extremely important net control and NTS traffic handler for us
here in Western Lower Michigan.  Doing these things has really given her a
purpose in life, and literally has "turned her life around".

I am also trying to get her set up with a donated computer and a copy of
Jaws from my University, so that she might ultimately be able to submit net
activity reports and some of the other paper work that is needed to the
ARRL.

She is going to have to be "self taught" on the use of these things, but I
have agreed to give her tutorials as best as I can, given my own schedule
and time constraints.

Obviously, we have no idea how all of this is going to work out in the end,
but it seems worth trying to help her out as best as we can.

Thanks for any suggestions you can give here.

73 from Tom Behler: KB8TYJ, Big Rapids, MI