From:
Lou Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Jun 2007 22:25:21 -0400
Hi John.

I still find the computer to be more responsive with the DEC Express, even
on a fast system.  For one thing, you don't get indexing on a software
synthesizer, so when you hit CTRl to shut up JAWS, on a software
synthesizer it will keep chattering until the next time it needs to refresh
the speech buffer and at that point it will all of the sudden shut up.  On
a hardware synthesizer that supports indexing, it gets the "shut up"
command much more quickly.  It isn't usually very noticeable for most
desktop applications such as word processors, spreadsheet programs, e-mail
and the like because the programs are usually sending things to be spoken
in fairly small chunks.  But, sometimes on certain web sites, the
difference can be very pronounced.

73, de Lou K2LKK