Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Alec Wood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Jun 2008 09:37:23 -0700
My understanding is than one of the arguments against grains is that in grains we are actually eating
the plant seeds. For example wheat is a grass we are eating the seeds as the source of energy.  The seeds have the toxins as a defense against predators.  Not only is chocolate "new world' it is also made from the seed of the cacao tree.

When we eat foods such as tomatoes, we may incidentally ingest some of the seeds but we are not gathering tomato seeds, concentrating the seeds and using them for food and discarding the rest of the fruit.

Some people do have trouble with nightshades and I probably eat too many tomatoes and peppers. But a recent study from Britain says that the potato (a New World food?) is one of the safest foods to eat in food intolerance terms; it is least likely to be linked with symptoms such as IBS, migraine, fatigue and eczema.

I know some low carb paleos say that the potato is too high in carbs, and other so called diet gurus claim that eating a potato is worse than eating sugar because it is a 'simple' carb. But I know some paleo types that just add a small amount of potato in their meals with the reasoning that if I eat other tubers why not potatoes?

http://www.flex-news-food.com/pages/14022/Potato/potato-safest-food-britain---experts.html

By the way: I am not  against cocoa, I just don't know enough about it.

"From: Ashley Moran [log in to unmask]

Jim,

If you are totally against cocoa, then you should also be totally
against tomatoes as well, as both are new world.

(Incidentally, I eat all of the foods Phil listed, although nowhere
near as often as new world foods.  But I love hot food.)

Ashley